Windows 7 takes 8 minutes to logon. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Im having some trouble with a clients computer. After getting to the screen with the windows logon in windows 7 it takes 7-8 minutes before the loading wheel dissappears and the desktop pops up. This is a clean install of windows 7 enterprise. All the latest updates have been preformed and I had no issues with the computer. Also after the computer was fully functioning they added a network share folder to the desktop so a fellow employee could access files on the desktop. How can i go about finding out why this is happening. Once the pc logs into windows everthing works fast and fine. Could another profile be slowing down the computer if it was deleted and the files were left behind. Before the network share the computer logged in quickly. Please help me figure this out, it doesnt make the machine unusable but it sure is frustrating.

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64bit W all updates

Mcafee 8.8 Enterprise

Office 2010 W all updates

Latest drivers from the dell website.

Core 2 Quad 9550 2.83 Ghz 12mb L2 Cache

4Gb Ram

320Gb 7200 rpm hard drive

Ati Radeon 3450 Video card 256 MB

If you need the exact dell model for pc I can get it later today.

Saturday, March 14, 2015 5:08 PM

Answers

• Issue solved guys. It was a bad seagate external hard drive causing the problem. After removing it by unplugging it from the usb and power the computer booted within 30 seconds.

Thank you all for you help i feel like the world is here to help. Great support everyone.

• Marked as answer by Jeffrey Olink Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:15 PM
    • Edited by Jeffrey Olink Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:16 PM found out how to mark as answered
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hi

You can use Process Monitor (procmon) from Sysinternals / Windows Sysinternals tools by Mark Russinovich available from Microsoft website.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb545021.aspx 

The following link shows how Mark solved the problem of slow logon. 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2012/07/02/3506849.aspx

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:42 AM
    Saturday, March 14, 2015 5:22 PM
  • Are these computers a part of a domain, is there any GPO applied with a startup script?

I have seen the same issue happening and it ended up to be a GPO with a startup scripts that are pointing to a deleted path.

I hope this helps.

Saturday, March 14, 2015 7:26 PM
  • Can you try a clean boot and check the results ? 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135?wa=wsignin1.0

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:42 AM
    Sunday, March 15, 2015 10:25 PM
  • In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki
    If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Sunday, March 15, 2015 10:29 PM
  • Hi Jeffrey,

How is current situation? Was your issue resolved?

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:45 AM
  • Hey all

Sorry for taking a while to answer i been out of town a few days and havent had a chance to check out the clients computer. I will try some of the solutions provided and get back to you asap. Thank you guys very much for all the input and support so far.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 8:26 PM
  • 1. I do not think that the proposed answer is correct. If the logon take long time, then you cannot run any program. Either the current user profile is very large, or you wait for something else.

2. You have not reveal what security model do you have. If remore logon is a case (like in AD), then there is authentication problem or indirectly DNS is not correctly configured correctly.

3. Rarely there is a problem with hw component (network card etc.)

4. I would check the network communication with Wireshark.

5. By disabling some parts/applications you may find the problem like AV is checking something before allowing to finish logon process.

6. Contact vendor's support. I mean both, mb vendor and AV.

7. Double check Event logs and Device Manager.

Rgds

Milos

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 8:48 PM
  • Issue solved guys. It was a bad seagate external hard drive causing the problem. After removing it by unplugging it from the usb and power the computer booted within 30 seconds.

Thank you all for you help i feel like the world is here to help. Great support everyone.

• Marked as answer by Jeffrey Olink Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:15 PM
    • Edited by Jeffrey Olink Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:16 PM found out how to mark as answered
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:14 PM