none
Where to configure Incremental Backup and question regarding RBS DB backup? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have deployed the DPM and is able to full backups. I dont see any option to do an Incremental backup. I have check all over nuy couldnt find it. Can anybody help me to find out the right place to configure Incremental backup?

The other question is that Can i backup RBS database? Can i backup the BLOB store as well? Please let me know.. Thanks...
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Shaan Singh,

don't be mislead by "Full Express Backup". It will not backup your 12 TB data, instead only the differentials between your last backup and the next will be backed up. So scheduling more full express backups will transfer smaller amounts of data as the differential to your last backup will be smaller.

The synchronization frequency will determine your transaction log backup schedule in case you have full mode configured on SQL server

In that regards DPM works different to other backup tools. The only "Full backup" is your replica creation. After that the "full express backups" will "only" backup the differential data to your last backup.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Shaan Singh,

DPM 2010 only supports express full backup for sharepoint.  For application data, we support 448 (512-64) express full backups - so if you have a retention period of 30 days you could take 14 express full backups a day.   Keep in mind that DPM is a backup solution, not a high availability solution.

DPM 2012 will be in Beta shortly, not sure about the RTM date plans.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What kind of workload are you protecting - Sharepoint ?

DPM only support express full backups for Sharepoint, therefore schedule more frequent express full backups to meet your SLA.   We have very limited support in DPM 2010 for RBS - we can usually back it up, but cannot restore the files in RBS without some manual manipulations.   DPM 2012 will have much better support for RBS. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:27 PM
  • HI Mike, Thanks for the reply. Actually i heard about DPM 2010 was that it backups incremental as well as full backups for SharePoint 2010. But if we have 2TB of data, how can we schedule it express full backup because it will take a lot of time and resources. Also, the recovery time for high availability will decrease. If we do every 6hr or 12hr full express backup for 12TB data, then if something bad happens, we will loose last 6hrs or 12hrs data.. How you would do in this approach. Also do you know when DPM 2012 is coming? we are in testing phase right now and will be moving in production in 2012. Thanks.. Regards Singh
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Hi Shaan Singh,

don't be mislead by "Full Express Backup". It will not backup your 12 TB data, instead only the differentials between your last backup and the next will be backed up. So scheduling more full express backups will transfer smaller amounts of data as the differential to your last backup will be smaller.

The synchronization frequency will determine your transaction log backup schedule in case you have full mode configured on SQL server

In that regards DPM works different to other backup tools. The only "Full backup" is your replica creation. After that the "full express backups" will "only" backup the differential data to your last backup.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Hi Sroe,

Thanks for replying back. It means DPM 2010 doesnt do incremental. If it does differential backup, then why should we choose DPM? Full and differential backup acn be don vis Sql Server itself too. Also if it doesnt work with RBS databases too, so whats the point to use DPM to backup SharePoint. Well, i understand what you meant by saying about backups. Once again thanks..

Regards

Shaan Singh

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Shaan Singh,

DPM 2010 only supports express full backup for sharepoint.  For application data, we support 448 (512-64) express full backups - so if you have a retention period of 30 days you could take 14 express full backups a day.   Keep in mind that DPM is a backup solution, not a high availability solution.

DPM 2012 will be in Beta shortly, not sure about the RTM date plans.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:55 PM
  • HI Mike, Thanks for replying. I know its not a high availability solution but what i wanted to understand that if there is a gap of 6hrs backup and something happens, i will loose all the data inbetween that time frame. But now I understand it. looking forward for DPM 2012.

Also 1 more question, Can we use SAN with DPM to backup or NAS. Thanks....

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Yes, you are able to use any "persistant" storage like SCSI, iSCSI, HBA's... - so external USB storage is ot supported but SAN/NAS connected via iSCSI or Fibre Channel... is supported.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:34 PM