none
SCOM Linux Agent Discovery Failing to run RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I have a SCOM 1801 installed and when i run the Linux discovery wizard for a single server it keeps running for 2-3 hours & then fails with below error. Please help.

Thanks,

MayurG

Monday, June 24, 2019 10:56 AM

Answers

• Thanks all for your time & support.

For testing purpose i created a new Resource Pool & added single Management Server in it (my old resource pool has 4 Management Servers in it) with this single management Server i was able to run the Linux discovery properly. So i added one more Mgmt Server in new resource pool & ran the discovery & it ran properly, like this i added all 4 management server one by one & tried running discovery and as a result i came to know that when i add my 3rd Mgmt Server in the new resource pool i get the same Linux discovery issue.

So, as a work around i am now running the Linux discovery with new resource pool which has only 3 management Servers in it.

I am still not able to figure out whats wrong with my 3rd management Server, it shows healthy in the console & has no alerts.

MayurG

• Marked as answer by Mayur Gharat Friday, July 5, 2019 3:06 PM
    Friday, July 5, 2019 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hello Mayur,

What version of Linux are you trying to discover? 

Have you checked that the SCOM management server can successfully communicate with the Linux server(s) you are trying to discover?

Also check the Operations Manager log for any clues.

Here's another thread with the exact same error:
    Unix/Linux Discovery by Gateway Server Hangs...

For more information, you can refer to Kevin's excellent guide on how to monitor UNIX/Linux with SCOM:
    Monitoring UNIX/Linux with OpsMgr 2016

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, June 24, 2019 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

For this issue, we'd like suggest to check the following:
    1, what is the OS version of the management server? If server2008r2, does it have latest .net 4 framework installed?
    2, does port 1270 open in the linux server?
    3, is there any gateway servers involved in our deployment?
    4, try the following to see it it works

- Remove the existing agent from the system - [rpm -e scx] (if the server is RPM based)
    - Clean up the  certs and logs [rm -rf /opt/microsoft /etc/opt/microsoft /var/opt/microsoft]
    - ReInstall the Universal MPs to SCOM
    - Run the Discovery Wizard again

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Hi Leon/Alex,

Thanks for your interest !!

SCOM Server OS is Server 2016 DC.

Discovery was working till last Tuesday, suddenly i started facing this issue.

There is nothing in the event log, i can ping Linux servers from SCOM server & can also telnet port 22 & port 1270.

No Gateway server involved.

The Linux Server for which i am running the discovery, doesn't have SCOM agent installed.

MayurG

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:57 PM
  • Did you make sure that the SQL Service Broker is enabled and running?

SCOM Linux discovery console stops responding

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:38 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Swati06 Tuesday, July 2, 2019 4:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mayur Gharat Friday, July 5, 2019 2:56 PM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:38 PM
  • Hi Mayur,

did you check the SQL Service Broker as Leon suggested? Appreciate your feadback and thanks in advance!

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 1:02 PM
  • Yes, its enabled !!

MayurG

Friday, July 5, 2019 2:57 PM
  • Thanks all for your time & support.

For testing purpose i created a new Resource Pool & added single Management Server in it (my old resource pool has 4 Management Servers in it) with this single management Server i was able to run the Linux discovery properly. So i added one more Mgmt Server in new resource pool & ran the discovery & it ran properly, like this i added all 4 management server one by one & tried running discovery and as a result i came to know that when i add my 3rd Mgmt Server in the new resource pool i get the same Linux discovery issue.

So, as a work around i am now running the Linux discovery with new resource pool which has only 3 management Servers in it.

I am still not able to figure out whats wrong with my 3rd management Server, it shows healthy in the console & has no alerts.

MayurG

• Marked as answer by Mayur Gharat Friday, July 5, 2019 3:06 PM
    Friday, July 5, 2019 3:06 PM