Windows 7 Bug? - Apps ignore Task Bar location RRS feed

• Question

• OS=Windows 7 Home Premium; Task Bar: locked (on right), Auto-Hide=off, small icons=on, Aero Peek=off

Issue: Applications will intermittently ignore the task bar and size their window into the space behind the task bar. I can unlock the task bar, move it to the bottom, and then move it back to the right - and the application will adjust to accommodate the task bar. But this behavior returns at seemingly random intervals.

• Is there a known trigger for this behavior?

• Better yet, is there a fix?

Sunday, September 5, 2010 2:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

Please right-click the desktop – choose “view”, do you select the “Auto arrange icons” and “Align icons to grid”? If not, select them and to see if  the issue persists.

If you desktop cannot be saved after you make any change, please try to create a new user account and check if the problem is still there.

If the issue persists after change another user account, please provide a screenshot via SkyDrive.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Leon Liu - MS Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:03 AM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:59 AM

All replies

• Its and app issue, not an OS issue.  I prefer my task bar on top, as such I have issues with this frequently too.
    Monday, September 6, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post!

Please right-click the desktop – choose “view”, do you select the “Auto arrange icons” and “Align icons to grid”? If not, select them and to see if  the issue persists.

If you desktop cannot be saved after you make any change, please try to create a new user account and check if the problem is still there.

If the issue persists after change another user account, please provide a screenshot via SkyDrive.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Leon Liu - MS Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:03 AM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:59 AM
  • • edusysadmin - Thanks, but I don't think this issue lies in the apps because A) it's intermittent, and B) it seems everything exhibits this behavior when the "bug" is active (IE8, Firefox, MS Word, Wordpad, eventvwr, etc.) While I may be mistaken, I think it's the OS that tells the apps where the Task Bar is when they launch. Since all of the apps tested are ignoring the Task Bar, it's apparent that they're not getting the necessary information.

• NOTE: (Possible clue) I had not seen the problem all day today, but I closed the lid on my laptop late tonight and, when I came back an hour or so later and opened the lid, the behavior was back.

• Miya Yao - Thank you. Neither of the attributes you mentioned were active, so I enabled them. Without taking any (other) corrective action, the issue persisted. I then unlocked the Task Bar, moved it to the bottom, then moved it back to the right, and now all apps are behaving properly.

I do not understand what you meant by "if the desktop cannot be saved". Could you clarify? Also, as I mentioned, I only see this behavior every once in a while, so I'm not so sure it points to a corrupted user profile (IMHO).

Thanks again!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to know all apps are behaving properly.

“If the desktop cannot be saved”, I mean if you change something in your desktop, like add some icons, after restart, the icons disappear. In this case, I suspect the user profile is corrupted. Since everything works properly, the user profile seems complete.

Regards,

Miya Yao

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 4:07 AM
  • Why was this marked as an answer?  Just because you frustrated the user to give up on the issue?  Is this Microsoft's Standard Operating Procedure?

Why does Miya Yao say "Glad to know all apps are behaving properly" when the user (Felix5500) clearly stated that they are not wortking (I don't think this issue lies in the apps...I only see this behavior every once in a while)?  Do any Mods actually read what the users write?  Another case of crappy to no-existent Microsoft customer service. 

Yet another Microsoft flaw that will never be fixed.

By the way, I'm not a Microsoft hater - I'm a hater of all stuff that doesn't work right.  Microsoft seems to constantly break stuff and then ignore customer complaints about it.

Bryan..

Monday, January 16, 2012 6:41 PM