none
Scorecard/KPI security RRS feed

• Question

• The following example gives an impression of the challenge I am facing.

I have a scorecard with two KPI's: Revenue and Invoices paid. And I have two users: ceo and manager. The ceo should have access to both of the KPI's, the manager should only be able to see the Invoices paid KPI.
    To accomplish this I have created a scorecard with both KPI's on it. I have added two permissions to the Invoices paid KPI: ceo (reader role) and manager (reader role). The Revenue KPI has only one permission for the ceo with a reader role.

When the ceo views the dashboard with the scorecard it can see both KPI's. So far so good. But when the manager views the scorecard he can also see both KPI's. The difference is that the Revenue KPI does not contain any data. I would have expected it not to be present at all.

Is it possible to "hide" KPI's on a scorecard depending on the user that is logged on?

Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:54 PM

Answers

• Yeah, you would hope that because they do not have permissions to the KPI is just wouldn't load it in the scorecard, but that is not the case.  All it does is to not display the values.

You could take a look at implementing this customization, but you might have to do some adjusting to how your KPIs are setup to get this to work since it evaluates whether or not the Actual has a value or not in the KPI to the row (KPI).

Hiding Empty Rows in a Scorecard - Code Sample
    http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2008/04/09/hiding-empty-rows-in-a-scorecard-code-sample.aspx

In your case it might just be easier to define different dashboards since these two levels will most likely want to see differing views of the data.  Not an ideal solution, but that seems to be the only option as of right now.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    • Marked as answer by st0mpie Friday, September 4, 2009 6:59 AM
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 5:15 PM

All replies

• Yeah, you would hope that because they do not have permissions to the KPI is just wouldn't load it in the scorecard, but that is not the case.  All it does is to not display the values.

You could take a look at implementing this customization, but you might have to do some adjusting to how your KPIs are setup to get this to work since it evaluates whether or not the Actual has a value or not in the KPI to the row (KPI).

Hiding Empty Rows in a Scorecard - Code Sample
    http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2008/04/09/hiding-empty-rows-in-a-scorecard-code-sample.aspx

In your case it might just be easier to define different dashboards since these two levels will most likely want to see differing views of the data.  Not an ideal solution, but that seems to be the only option as of right now.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    • Marked as answer by st0mpie Friday, September 4, 2009 6:59 AM
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Too bad... Hope the next release will incorporate this.

Thanks for your reply. I'll probably go for two scorecards, although I do like the link you provided. It is good to know that it can be done. Hope the next release will make this kind of stuff easier.

Friday, September 4, 2009 7:13 AM