Document numbering messed up when paragraph with new line character encountered RRS feed

• Question

• Word 2010.

Wherever I have a numbered paragraph containing a new line character (Shift--Enter), the next paragraph of the same style has the numbering reset to the same base number. So for instance if my number is at 7.6, the next paragraph goes back to 7.1.

When I try resetting the numbering to 'continue previous list', it is grayed out and won't let me.

Is this a bug?

Addendum:

Even after I have removed the new line character, the bad numbering remains and I cannot figure out how to remove it.

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:58 PM

Answers

• I found a workaround...

I deleted the line with the style completely, then reinserted the text as normal text, then reapplied the style. This magically generated the correct number following on from the last numbered line.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally, we would press the Enter key where you want the line to end. This results in a hard return being entered in the document. This action (pressing Enter) indicates that you have reached the end of the paragraph and want to start a new one.

As for the Soft Returns (Shift--Enter), it is the manual line breaks Symbol which simply signify the end of a line.

In your scenario, please delete all Soft Returns Symbol in the documents, then select the paragraph which you want to change the numbering, click Set Numbering Value. Do the following settings to change the numbering to what you needed:

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 12:09 PM

In every version of Word I have used what you are marking as a hard return is a manual line break. The Pillcrow indicates a paragraph mark. I do not recognize, in Word, what you are marking as a Soft Return.

To me, a soft return is an automatic wrap and that is not shown by any character within Word.

Showing non-printing formatting marks in Microsoft Word

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:10 PM
  • Word 2010.

Wherever I have a numbered paragraph containing a new line character (Shift--Enter), the next paragraph of the same style has the numbering reset to the same base number. So for instance if my number is at 7.6, the next paragraph goes back to 7.1.

When I try resetting the numbering to 'continue previous list', it is grayed out and won't let me.

Is this a bug?

Addendum:

Even after I have removed the new line character, the bad numbering remains and I cannot figure out how to remove it.

There may be a technical term for what you are seeing: spaghetti numbering.

A manual line break (Shift+Enter) should not prompt a new number in Word list numbering. It usually requires a paragraph break (Enter).

Word, since at least Word 97, has had problematic or broken automatic numbering. I have been told by people I respect that it improved with Word 2010, but has not been fixed. I know of two ways to get numbering that is stable through multiple edits. The first is to link numbering to styles. The second is to use SEQ fields. Neither of these is simple, although the style method works simply when set up properly. Use of SEQ fields requires some training.

Numbering in Microsoft Word

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:15 PM
  • Here are two screen shots from style-based numbering:

The first just shows the separation between two paragraphs.

The second is at the same point after first inserting a manual line break at the end of paragraph 8. followed by a regular paragraph break. Although not shown here, the paragraph #9 above renumbers to #10.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I have deleted all the new line characters. However, I now have some doubt if that was the cause of my problem.

In many of my numbered lists, I have tables, and I remember when I created them I used the wizard and it inserted a numbered item in every cell of the table (cannot believe MS Word is this dumb!) and I had a devil of a time deleting them as I had to do it cell by cell.

It now appears to be around these tables where the mis-numbering is occuring. For instance before the table I have 8.5 and after it I have 8.1 then another table then another 8.1.

I have tried the set numbering dialog 'continue list' and it does nothing - it does not work. I tried resetting the actual number to the correct value but that mangles ny numbering horribly, it inserts 1.1 thru 1.6! (see below)

The  only thing I can think of is to remove all the tables, try to reset the numbering, then put the tables back. But this will take me hours and my deadline is today.

Here is the before and after of my attempt to reset the value to 8.6 via the 'set numbering' dialog:

One thing I forgot to mention is that this document is using a template and the numbering is all specified in styles. None of this numbering was set up by me.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:36 PM
  • I found a workaround...

I deleted the line with the style completely, then reinserted the text as normal text, then reapplied the style. This magically generated the correct number following on from the last numbered line.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:56 PM
  • Note that pressing Ctrl+Q (which runs the ResetPara command) would accomplish the same thing as reapplying the style.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:54 PM
  • I'll never remember that and Microsoft should not expect people too either!
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:06 PM
  • Your problem is with the formats being used - they're different (although the LOOK the same). The 1.1-1.6 series is inheriting (or continuing) numbering from an earlier paragraph. A simple solution would have been to copy/paste formatting from the 8.1 series to the 1.1 series. This would have gotten them all aligned at least for this level.

Now another problem that sometimes occurs, where the parent paragraph is e.g. 8 and the sub-level paragraphs are e.g 6.9 is usually the same problem (see example below). What's happened here is the the 7, 7.1, 7.2, 8 are all from a different format that just seems to be the same. The 6.9 can only related back to the 6.8 and thus it continues from there. Again, the same solution of "Paste Format" works for these - you'd just need to make sure that the indents are corrected, a quick recovery I'd say.

Hope all this helps, even for future reference, as I understand you've already overcome this issue for now.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Note that the only long-term fix to problems such as these is to set up numbering linked to paragraph styles. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:06 PM
    Wednesday, August 23, 2017 8:37 AM