DELL MP Discovery Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the DELL management pack, but none of the views in the monitoring pane populate . . . they are fine for windows server OS . . .

The next day the discoverd inventory view in monitoring only shows 4 columns: state; name; path and display name - lists all 21 servers . . . no column for unknown class or DELL anything. I labourously upgraded ALL machines to OMSA 5.5. The DELL pack was added AFTER the machines were initially discovered and managed by SCOM and AFTER OMSA was upgraded to 5.5 . . . Nothing in any of the logs either . . .

Anybody have any ideas?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:09 PM

Answers

• Follow a similar process as http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb309557.aspx but set it as enabled.  This will enable the monitor for everyone of the servers found. So for instance if the Dell Server type is discovered and the monitor is targetted at the Dell Server type then the monitor will be activated for those servers.

Alternatively you can follow the same process but instead of enabling for all you can enable for a class, a group of servers (group defined in Operations manager), or a specific Instance (only a single server).
    • Marked as answer by dfkon Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by dfkon Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by dfkon Friday, June 12, 2009 3:08 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:10 PM
  • It will override for what you select.
    For the object will only override for that one instance
    For all objects will override for all objects of that type (entity in this case)
    For a group will override for all objects that are in an Operations Manager Group.  If you intend to manage multiple objects (more than 3 computers) I suggest creating a group for the machines that you want to create an override to enable or disable for.  See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb309587.aspx for information on creating groups in operations manager.

• Proposed as answer by Vineet Kulkarni Friday, June 12, 2009 12:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by dfkon Friday, June 12, 2009 3:02 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:12 PM

All replies

• I would suggest reading Kevin Holman's blog on the Dell MP.

http://blogs.technet.com/kevinholman/archive/2008/08/11/updated-dell-mp-released-3-1-a01.aspx

-Tom
    • Proposed as answer by S. Halsey Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Finally - SOME progress - under monitoring\discovered inventory, all servers are at least showing when DELL server instance is selected . . .
    But state shows "Not Monitored" and this is after 15+ hrs of displaying in this screen . . . what do I need to do to get them "monitored"??

-Thanks

Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Servers now showing in DELL Server and Printer\state view\DELL Servers.
    All "not monitored" . . . question . . . to enable monitoring (there are a LOT of monitors when I open the health explorer for one of the non-monitored servers) for all servers . . . do I open the monitor properties\overrides\override for all objects of type "monitor name"?

will that override for all servers or just the server I opened up the monitor properties for?

Thanks,
    David
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Follow a similar process as http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb309557.aspx but set it as enabled.  This will enable the monitor for everyone of the servers found. So for instance if the Dell Server type is discovered and the monitor is targetted at the Dell Server type then the monitor will be activated for those servers.

Alternatively you can follow the same process but instead of enabling for all you can enable for a class, a group of servers (group defined in Operations manager), or a specific Instance (only a single server).
    • Marked as answer by dfkon Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by dfkon Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by dfkon Friday, June 12, 2009 3:08 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Thanks
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:43 PM

• When I go to: Monitoring\DELL Servers - all servers show not monitored. When I open the Health Explorer for any od the individual machines I see MANY health monitors that I can override and cause it to monitor.

However, when I go to: Authoring\Monitors\DELL Server Instances - all I see is an "Entity Health" Aggrigate Rollup which is comprised of 4 sub aggregate rollups: Availability (3 dependancy monitors);Configuration; Performance and Security.

None of the individual health monitors seen in the monitoring view is present. I can go and create a monitor for a rollup package, but how do I use/override the existing health monitors that come with the DELL MP?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:18 PM
  • If you open the properties of the monitor when you are in Authoring\Monitors the general page shows a Monitor Target.  Check the Health Explorer under discovered inventory for the Target Type listed there and see if the monitors show up for that type.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:54 PM
  • ok target: entity
    go to discovered inventory (computer) - shows all my servers
    I pick one, open health explorer:
    entity health\availability\hardware availability rollup is the last monitor that shows a green check mark.
    there are several more health monitors nested under it . . . let's say "Availability - PERC 6/i Integrated (Entity) . . .
    I can r-click and overide: for the object, for all objects, for a group . . . etc . . . but will that only override for THAT machine or all?

Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:26 PM
  • It will override for what you select.
    For the object will only override for that one instance
    For all objects will override for all objects of that type (entity in this case)
    For a group will override for all objects that are in an Operations Manager Group.  If you intend to manage multiple objects (more than 3 computers) I suggest creating a group for the machines that you want to create an override to enable or disable for.  See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb309587.aspx for information on creating groups in operations manager.

• Proposed as answer by Vineet Kulkarni Friday, June 12, 2009 12:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by dfkon Friday, June 12, 2009 3:02 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Which version of the Dell MP are you using?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:40 AM
  • Perfect. Thanks much.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 3:15 PM
  • v311 dated 3/5/09
    Friday, June 12, 2009 3:16 PM