none
DPM 2012 certificate problem - setdpmserver.exe not running correctly no errors produced RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys

I am hoping that someone can help.

We have a server that is in a non trusted domain so we use certificates to allow our DPM server to backup our customers server. The certificate expired today and was inadvertently removed.

I found some great advice in the following blog post http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/04/23/how-to-use-certificates-to-authenticate-computers-in-workgroups-or-untrusted-domains-with-data-protection-manager.aspx I followed the blog post through without issue until I reached the section about running the setDPMserver.exe. I constructed my command but when I try to run itit exits me into the 'usage' dialogue like I have made a mistake in my syntax but I cant see where, I have posted the syntax below in case anyone can help. The command is being run from an elevated command prompt on a server 2008 R2 VM.

setdpmserver –dpmcredential CertificateConfiguration_DPM2.fakedomain.co.uk.bin –OutPutFilePath c:\Temp -Thumbprint ‎‎31c215760a90969f8721ad1690d82f317c4a3a15

When I run the above I get taken to a usage screen giving me examples of correct syntax, I have copied exactly yet the exe still will not run, it's like it's not recognising any of the arguments entered after 'setdpmserver' (image attached)

We have recently upgraded from RC to RTM, is it possible that the version of 'setdpmserver' we have is out of date? (version 4.0.1908) does anyone know what the latest build of this file is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:04 PM

All replies

• here are the build numbers, and build you mention is RTM

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4058.list-of-build-numbers-for-system-center-data-protection-manager-dpm-en-us.aspx

And I believe your issue is related to some hidden character in thumbprint. I advice you to copy characters from CMD to clipboard and paste them back. It should help.

Martin

Martin

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 10:09 AM
  • Hello,

You are missing the DPM server name.  Example:

Set-DPMCredentials –DPMServerName DPM2012.contoso.com –Type Certificate –Action Configure –OutputFilePath C:\Temp -Thumbprint 493f27f35b2105804afbd49bb5a59bf2e380e00

Shane

Regards, Shane. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by AsimPervaz Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:34 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:12 PM
  • Hi Rosstoph,

I hope you managed to set your command succesfully. I used to have the same problem. I copied all the time the syntax from a notepad and nothing worked. Only after typing in the complete command by hand it did work :-)

Hope this helps.

Greetz,

DJITS

• Proposed as answer by Flo31 Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:28 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Hello,

You are missing the DPM server name.  Example:

Set-DPMCredentials –DPMServerName DPM2012.contoso.com –Type Certificate –Action Configure –OutputFilePath C:\Temp -Thumbprint 493f27f35b2105804afbd49bb5a59bf2e380e00

Shane

Regards, Shane. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

This is the command to be run on the DPM Server and not the agent.
    Monday, September 22, 2014 12:11 PM