App-V 5: An error was encountered while trying to stop the monitoring session RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a problem with sequencing an application with the App-V 5 sequencer. During the moment that the sequencer is collecting system changes an dialog box appears with the message "An error was encountered while trying to stop the monitoring session. Please check the event log for more details.". When I sequence the same application with App-V 4.6 SP2 sequencer I have no problems.

In the eventviewer (Microsoft-AppV-Sequencer/Admin) you can see the message "An attempt to stop the monitoring session failed (startIndex cannot be large than lenght of string. Parameter name: startIndex). Event Id: 5003

I have checked the background activities, but I couldn't find anything suspicious.

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hereby some extra information. Before you the run installation you have to change the compatibility. There are 2 changes:

- Run the program in compatibilty mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
    - Run this program as an administrator

The installation will not be succesfull, when you don't this.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,

See this article howto enable the debug logs and get more information;

http://www.tmurgent.com/TmBlog/?p=1247

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, March 11, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Is the only difference between the platform the sequencer is hosted on the version of the sequencer? have you tested on a vanilla deployment of Windows?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, March 11, 2013 4:21 PM
  • For sequencing or testing I am using a virtual machine with a clean installation of Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 (x64) and Office Standard 2007 (x32). Only the sequencer or the client makes the difference.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:05 AM
  • Hereby some extra information. Before you the run installation you have to change the compatibility. There are 2 changes:

- Run the program in compatibilty mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
    - Run this program as an administrator

The installation will not be succesfull, when you don't this.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Hello,

Have you looked at the debug-logs to determine if there is something relevant to investigate?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:59 AM
  • Hello,

I have found a workaround for my problem. I have repackaged the whole installation with a MSI repackaging tool,
    cleaned up the repackaged MSI so far as I could. I used the repackaged MSI for sequencing the application. I do not have an explanation why this workaround is working.

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, September 13, 2014 10:07 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:52 AM
  • Willem-Jan,

We also experience the same problem with the Beaufort client. Do you have any updates concerning sequencing this application?

We used appv 5 sp2 hf4 and changed the compatibility mode to windows xp sp3 but no results yet.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:40 PM
  • Roger,

Ever found a fix for this issue? We also experience this problem with Beaufort Client

Friday, June 19, 2015 12:42 PM
  • As Nicke said, Any information under AppV Sequencer Log or Application Log in event viewer?

Run a Proc Mon Trace & see if you can find anything related to the Issue.

Maybe you can try with Installation to PVAD. 

Try to sequence this in 4.6 & convert it to AppV 5.

You can try the method that Willem got it worked - Repackage as an MSI & then sequence.

If nothinng works, contact the vendor to see if they support AppV.

Friday, June 19, 2015 1:06 PM