none
Level Resources - 1 fixed duration task with one resource with unit 40%, 1 Fixed work task for the rest of the resources availible time RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use MS Project 2016 to estimate when I can finish a new task in project with lot to do.

Example:

Task 1 is a very High priority task that have a fixed duration that will use a resource for 40%.

I then add a new task with fixed Work that will span over the same time but also after that task. I want MS Project to schedule the resource 60% of the time during the time Task 1 is active. After task 1 I want to use the resource 100% of the time (rest of the available time.

I do not get this simple example to work how do I do?? I do not what to manually set the time every day.

Best Regards

Jon

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 12:13 PM

Answers

• Jon --

The built-in leveling tool in Microsoft Project 2016 cannot adjust the Units value for overallocated resources during the leveling process.  In fact, the built-in leveling tool can only perform two actions to level overallocated resources:

• Delay tasks or assignments
    • Split tasks or assignments

The only way to accomplish what you need to do is to apply the Task Usage value and manually contour the Work hours for the resource on the second task.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Jon Larborn Monday, November 16, 2015 12:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 3:41 PM

All replies

• Jon --

The built-in leveling tool in Microsoft Project 2016 cannot adjust the Units value for overallocated resources during the leveling process.  In fact, the built-in leveling tool can only perform two actions to level overallocated resources:

• Delay tasks or assignments
    • Split tasks or assignments

The only way to accomplish what you need to do is to apply the Task Usage value and manually contour the Work hours for the resource on the second task.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Jon Larborn Monday, November 16, 2015 12:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 3:41 PM
  • This is an answer but not a solution for me. Do you know any other software to use to accomplish this.

Monday, November 16, 2015 12:03 PM
  • Jon,

I seriously doubt you will find an existing add-in or utility to do what you want, but it could probably be done with VBA given a good set of criteria to develop an appropriate algorithm.

John

Monday, November 16, 2015 3:40 PM