Network Problems with new Vista Computer RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new Dell 530S Inspiration to replace an older Dell laptop in my network.  The laptop was running on XP pro and hooked in to my network and runs fine, I even hooked in another laptop into that Ethernet connection and it also works fine.  I received the new machine yesterday and set it up correctly but the NIC interface was not working.  So I called Dell and spoke with India for an hour and they had me reinstall everything and still the NIC would not respond.  Previous to calling I tried everything I know to check the new computer everything seems to work except the NIC, so I bought a new USB NIC and installed it and it still would not work.  After running through all Dell's BS they asked me to hook the computer directly into the router which is in a whole different part of my house, and when I did the thing works without a problem.

My question is how can this be, 2 XP laptops have worked fine from this Ethernet plug in my wall (house is wired) but this new Vista computer will not, the light on the NIC do not light up and it tells me the LAN cable is missing, but if I unplug that cable and put it into my laptop it works fine?  Is it a power issue with this new computer, the wiring is about 70 feet from my router to this Ethernet plug in the wall.  This new computer needs to be where the laptop was, not in the basement where it works.  I'm at a loss; any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Monday, June 23, 2008 1:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I noticed the light on the NIC does not light up when the computer connects to Network Jack. It means the NIC doesn’t set up a connection between computer and Network Jack.

Given the situation, let’s focus on the NIC and Network Cable.

1.Do you have another NIC? If possible, could you please replace another NIC on the new computer to test this issue?

2.If you are using a Crossover cable, please try to use a Straight-Through cable. If you are using a Straight-Through cable, please try to use a Crossover cable.

3.Can you test this issue with a short wiring?

If the #1 resolve the issue, this problem mostly is caused by the NIC or BIOS settings. I suggest you contact Dell Support to focus on the issue.

If the #2 resolve the issue, this problem is a cable incompatibility problem.

If the #3 resolve the issue, this problem mostly can be caused by power issue with this new computer. It is recommended that contacting Dell Support to ask for a replacement.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:34 AM
  • Well I've fixed the problem, I went out and bought a new router and everything works correctly, I don't know why it would work when it was plugged into the old router on a 6 ft cable and not from the ethernet jack that was on a 50 ft line but it wouldn't.  So I went to BestBUY and made sure that I could return the new router of that didn't fix my problem they said sure so I bought a NETGEAR Range Max Dual band Wireless-N Router hooked it up as a direct replacement for the D-link and everything works now.  I guess the Vista system didn't like the D-link signal after it ran through a long cable.  So thanks everyone that read this thread and I hope if someone else buys a new computer to replace an older XP or Win98 machine and has a similar problem this can help them.  Just buy a new router and things might work out for you.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 3:01 AM

All replies

•  Briansc wrote:

I bought a new Dell 530S Inspiration to replace an older Dell laptop in my network.  The laptop was running on XP pro and hooked in to my network and runs fine, I even hooked in another laptop into that Ethernet connection and it also works fine.  I received the new machine yesterday and set it up correctly but the NIC interface was not working.  So I called Dell and spoke with India for an hour and they had me reinstall everything and still the NIC would not respond.  Previous to calling I tried everything I know to check the new computer everything seems to work except the NIC, so I bought a new USB NIC and installed it and it still would not work.  After running through all Dell's BS they asked me to hook the computer directly into the router which is in a whole different part of my house, and when I did the thing works without a problem.

My question is how can this be, 2 XP laptops have worked fine from this Ethernet plug in my wall (house is wired) but this new Vista computer will not, the light on the NIC do not light up and it tells me the LAN cable is missing, but if I unplug that cable and put it into my laptop it works fine?  Is it a power issue with this new computer, the wiring is about 70 feet from my router to this Ethernet plug in the wall.  This new computer needs to be where the laptop was, not in the basement where it works.  I'm at a loss; any help would be greatly appreciated!

If I understand you correctly, you're saying:

I have network jack (A) 

I previously had a windows XP machine connected to it and it worked great

I connected my new Vista machine to it and i get no connectivity

I carried the Vista Machine to my router and directly connected it, and it works great.

I carry it back to the jack (A) and it does not.

If thats the case, carry another machine that works and connect it to Network Jack (A)

Does it work?

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Yes you are correct, I had an XP machine working great no problems, new machine no connectivity, I have also checked with another machine (it was XP but not the first one I listed) and it worked great, so only the new machine which did work directly at the router (so the NIC does work) but it does not work were I want it.  Hope that helps you understand my situation.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Hi,

I noticed the light on the NIC does not light up when the computer connects to Network Jack. It means the NIC doesn’t set up a connection between computer and Network Jack.

Given the situation, let’s focus on the NIC and Network Cable.

1.Do you have another NIC? If possible, could you please replace another NIC on the new computer to test this issue?

2.If you are using a Crossover cable, please try to use a Straight-Through cable. If you are using a Straight-Through cable, please try to use a Crossover cable.

3.Can you test this issue with a short wiring?

If the #1 resolve the issue, this problem mostly is caused by the NIC or BIOS settings. I suggest you contact Dell Support to focus on the issue.

If the #2 resolve the issue, this problem is a cable incompatibility problem.

If the #3 resolve the issue, this problem mostly can be caused by power issue with this new computer. It is recommended that contacting Dell Support to ask for a replacement.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:34 AM
  • Well I've fixed the problem, I went out and bought a new router and everything works correctly, I don't know why it would work when it was plugged into the old router on a 6 ft cable and not from the ethernet jack that was on a 50 ft line but it wouldn't.  So I went to BestBUY and made sure that I could return the new router of that didn't fix my problem they said sure so I bought a NETGEAR Range Max Dual band Wireless-N Router hooked it up as a direct replacement for the D-link and everything works now.  I guess the Vista system didn't like the D-link signal after it ran through a long cable.  So thanks everyone that read this thread and I hope if someone else buys a new computer to replace an older XP or Win98 machine and has a similar problem this can help them.  Just buy a new router and things might work out for you.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 3:01 AM