Sensors RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed a GPS GT-3 Series UT-41x from Prolific.
    It is connected to a USB port via e serial-to-USB cable with driver.

The thing is that Win7 does not recognize it as a sensor. Is that normal (being just a GPS) or are there any hints as to how to get it recognized?

For the record: My electronic charts and MiniGPS tester all work fine with the input from the GPS.
    Ambidextrous installed Windows 7 Release Candidate on an HP Pavilion dv1000 Laptop with a Centrino 1.86 GB CPU and 2 GB RAM.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:07 AM

Answers

• Ambi,
    You have installed your eMAP software? If so, when you launch it, which com port have you specified? Do you have a com port registered in device manager? If the GPS is plugged in, but no com port is available, try scanning for hardware changes in device manager to possibly force the initialization of it. Report back on your findings...
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:42 PM

All replies

• Check with Prolific and see if a device driver is required for Windows.  If so, they probably won't have one for Win 7, but a Vista driver should work (may have to install in compatibility mode).
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Hi rbmorse,
    Been there, done it.

Funny thing is that on the devices list I only have the USB-to-Serial device. No mention of a GPS receiver. Obviously the driver for the cable also serves as driver for the GPS.
    All programs I use with GPS require a setup routine with configurations like comport number, type of sentences etc. When properly set up all those programs work fine under all windows systems.

Only this new deal with sensors is making trouble and I cannot find anywhere to give the control panel "a hint" about the whereabouts etc of the sensor.

If I make fault finding on the install file, I am advised to try to install in compatibility mode XP SP2, but that platform does (as far as I know) not have the sensor service. Wouldn't this rather worsen the problem? Anyway, I did it and it didn't work.

Wireless and cabled GPS's are mentioned directly in the help files for the detector so I'm wondering why on earth a simple gadget like a GPS can't get in touch with the detector area.

Ideas are welcome.

Ambidextrous installed Windows 7 Release Candidate on an HP Pavilion dv1000 Laptop with a Centrino 1.86 GB CPU and 2 GB RAM.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:06 AM
  • I think it incorrect to assume that just because the USB controller recognizes that a device is attached to the port that the driver for the cable is also the driver for the GPS.

It is possible that your GPS unit is a serial device that actually requires a serial port to operate. Can you give me a link for a web page that describes the GPS device?
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:12 PM
  • Ambi,
    You have installed your eMAP software? If so, when you launch it, which com port have you specified? Do you have a com port registered in device manager? If the GPS is plugged in, but no com port is available, try scanning for hardware changes in device manager to possibly force the initialization of it. Report back on your findings...
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Yes, sounds strange indeed.
    The setupfile alledgedly installs the GPS, but what really installs is the Serial-to-USB device.
    The GPS is a unit with a serial cable and comes automatically with the Serial-to-USB cable.
    After install I have a serial port device working tipically on com3 or 6 and then it is just specifying the right com port before the programs works fine with the input from the GPS.
    I have a PDF file for the GPS but no link unfortuneately.

Monday, June 15, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Hi David.
    Well, it's oldfashioned software from the 254 colour days.
    It contains a seperate setup program where you specify things like com port. I set it to com3 or 6 normally, which is the port(s) that the Serial-to-USB cable opens and that appears in the device manager as a normal serial port.
    When specifying the right port and open the main chart program all is well and position appears in the program.

I never have a problem in finding the right serial port for the GPS.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:08 PM

• When specifying the right port and open the main chart program all is well and position appears in the program.

So, you can locate your position within the emap program now? You resolved it?
    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:17 PM
  • No, the GPS continues to not appear in the location sensor in control panel.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:34 AM