Windows 7 Media Center freeze RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got Win 7 RTM running MC.
    All work fine. If I leave the PC for few hours when I come back the MC is freeze and on the task manger I can see that Media Player is running on 50% of processor. If I close the media player process the MC restarts and everything work fine until I leave my PC again.

Any Idea?

Thanks

Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hi epaz,

Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

Check in Clean Boot

========

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, if the issue persists, let's reload Windows Media Player by the steps below:

Reload Windows Media Player

========

1. Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.

2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.

3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Player". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off WMP, Windows Media Center will be turned off either. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

5. Launch Windows Media Player, initialize the program.

Please see if the issue can be resolved now.

However, if it persists, please collect the Process Explorer log and we can do further research on it:

Collect Process Explorer log

========

1. Please download the Process Explorer at Process Explorer v11.33
    2. Extract the zip file and double click the procexp.exe file.
    3. Open Windows Media Center, reproduce this issue, and then please highlight the Process Name such as wmplayer.exe line in Process Explorer.
    4. From the View menu, please point to "Lower Pane view" and select DLLs.
    5. From the File menu, please select Save to save the dll list to a txt file such as processes.txt.
    6. Please upload the txt file to your SkyDrive at
    www.skydrive.live.com and let me know the link.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:35 AM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 3:26 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem.  The screen goes black but ALT-F4 will close it without having to use Task Manager to kill it, but you can't watch or do anything until you do this.  I have my Power Options set to High Performance (no hibernation, no sleep), screen saver is disabled, and the monitor is set to never power off.  This is Win7 Pro x64 6.1.7600 (clean install on a freshly formatted HDD, NOT an upgrade) on a Dell Inspiron 545 (A11 BIOS), 8GB RAM, 1TB SATA drive.  I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 3450 (came OEM from Dell) connected to my Sony TV via HDMI using the driver posted to ATI's site as of 4 Oct 09 called 9-9_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu and have a Hauppauge HVR-1250 TV tuner.  I only installed the tuner drivers for the Hauppauge, not the entire TV set.  Win7 is a member computer in a 2003 Active Directory Domain.  Each time this happens MC is full screen (though on this PC I rarely have anything else running and there's essentially no other software other than Flash and Java installed.

Epaz, can you post back your configuration.  If you're using ATI video as well it may well be a video driver problem.  I'm going to post this again but under a different title becuase it's more of a "blackout" as ALT-F4 will close it so it's not really frozen, but just blanked or blacked out.  Maybe between the two of us we'll get more respones.

Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Information posted here provided "As-Is". Use at your own discretion.
    • Proposed as answer by Darniel Ng Monday, October 26, 2009 11:43 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, November 14, 2011 6:55 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Hi epaz,

Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

Check in Clean Boot

========

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, if the issue persists, let's reload Windows Media Player by the steps below:

Reload Windows Media Player

========

1. Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.

2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.

3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Player". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off WMP, Windows Media Center will be turned off either. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

5. Launch Windows Media Player, initialize the program.

Please see if the issue can be resolved now.

However, if it persists, please collect the Process Explorer log and we can do further research on it:

Collect Process Explorer log

========

1. Please download the Process Explorer at Process Explorer v11.33
    2. Extract the zip file and double click the procexp.exe file.
    3. Open Windows Media Center, reproduce this issue, and then please highlight the Process Name such as wmplayer.exe line in Process Explorer.
    4. From the View menu, please point to "Lower Pane view" and select DLLs.
    5. From the File menu, please select Save to save the dll list to a txt file such as processes.txt.
    6. Please upload the txt file to your SkyDrive at
    www.skydrive.live.com and let me know the link.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:35 AM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 3:26 AM
  • On my system it's a VERY VERY clean system, not even a DVD/CD burning software is installed.  No Office.  No nothing other than antivirus, flash, and java and the drivers for the TV tuner.  There simply isn't anything else to disable.  Having to resetup MC i s a very problematic situation for many of us who have dozens of scheduled recordings and give MS has no supported way to backup and restore the db we need to find another solution.  Also, the process explorer log will be HUGE given it takes a few hours for this to happen.

Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Friday, October 9, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Hi All,

I got gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H main board that includes all in one hardware: ATI radeon 3200 HD, realtek RTL8186C Ethernet NIC, AMD Athlon X2 240, Hauppauge WinTV PVR 2500, HD Audio. I agree with Brain, the problem occur only if I leave the computer alone for few hours so I can't really troubleshoot in your whey Linda it will take few weeks :)... Is there a shorter method?

By the whey, I got another issue with my MC, It slips the subtitles from the TV channels. If I watch TV threw the cable I can see the subtitles. If I connect it to my PC with WMC 7 The subtitles disappear. I try to configure it in the WMC settings but is doesn't help.

Thanks for the help.
    Epaz

Friday, October 9, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Are you talking about movies/TV shows taped in one language with another language subtitled on top or are you talking about closed captioning?  I've never seen CC work, but as for subtitling, meke sure your Zoom setting isn't cutting it off.  Acutal subtiles (not CC) are transmitted as part of the broadcast video not a separate stream like CC is and I've found some movies, like the original DVD of Hunt for Red October often have their subtitles in the black bands (letterbox) that I prefer to zoom in to remove.  Later builds of that DVD fix that, but I have the original (guess I need to suck it up and buy the BluRay version).

Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Friday, October 9, 2009 7:58 PM
  • I think I may have found the problem.  Despite my having disabled all screen savers in Win7 (it's set to "none" in the screen saver applet), Win7's MC seems to be playing a slide show without my asking of photos and it gets to one or more photos it can't handle, I have some really large, 100+MB scanned images, and turns black, looking like it freezes, while loading.  I just caught Win7 MC entering this "mode". Short of removing all links to photos in MC, how do I stop MC from ever automatically starting some slide show without my permission?

BTW, I have no defined slide shows in MC.

Epaz, if you just leave it and come back after say 30-60 do you find it showing photos?

Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:09 AM
  • Hi,

It isn't the problem...
    I already disable the "favorite photo display" in the MC. It didn't help.
    I upgrade to the new ATI driver and it seem to help but still the MC is in 50% of CPU all the time and it slow the performance of the PC. Every think work slow even so I got a strong PC.
    I think I will downgrade to Vista MC. My wife id patient as I am and she want to see some TV... :)

Epaz

Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:52 AM
  • Does the issue occur after accessing sleep mode or hibernation? If the system screensaver is enabled, please disable it and see if the issue can be resolved.

Also, please update the device drivers to the latest and update your BIOS as well.

Regards,
    Linda
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:47 AM
  • No, sleep & hiberation are totally disabled and the system is set to High Performance with the monitor sleep timeout set to never, OS screen savers are also disbaled as previously mentioned.  I'm using the latest drivers for all devices and the BIOS is the most recent, released 8 Sept 09 from Dell.
    Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Monday, October 12, 2009 12:27 PM
  • How exactly was this one marked as the naswer by the MS rep who posted it.  It didn't solve anything.
    Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:16 PM
  • Just a note, we've run across this now on 3 different Win7 RTM x64 machines (2 Ultimate and 1 Pro) and this is does not appear to be the answer to this problem.  All of cases where we've seen this have been Win7 x64 RTM with essentially nothing else on the system other than AV (in fact one of mine will stay that way as I only use it for Media Center connected to my HD TV).  The solution was to disable the automatic screen saver if you have very large images in your photo libraries, which I do (I have some well over 100MB).  Win7 MC seems to hang up on those images, especially if they're pulled over a LAN connection.  I recommend everyone disable the screen saver until MS fixes this.
    Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Monday, October 19, 2009 4:38 PM
  • I have the same issue with same setup - Windows 7 x64 RTM. Using onboard ATI video from 780G chipset. Video playback periodically locks up ONLY when replaying recorded TV. I can play live TV with no issues (SD and HD). I can play videos/movies that are downloaded (DIVX/XVID). But when I replay video I've recorded off of my tuners, occasionally, they simply freeze. I can press stop, wait 5 secs, press resume and things are good. One interesting thing, when it freezes during playback (no video/audio changes - just frozen picture on screen), the video is actually progressing behind the scenes. If I wait 3 minutes to do the stop/resume trick, 3 minutes will have elapsed when I resume.

Looking at event log, there are a TREMENDOUS amount of atimkdiag events logged - obviously ATI driver related. Running current drivers for all hardware, clean machine.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:56 AM
  • I don't think this is the same issue. We're finding this problem only after leaving the machine idle for several minutes.  Video playback is not a problem on my system with a PCIe Radeon HD 3450 HDMI card. I can play both NTSC and Clear QAM video with no problems for hours on end.
    Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

I am having the same issue as well, To Technet. Well if it's 15 years ago. Then asking us if we have done our software patches or updates would be valid. In today's computer users, I think it would be a self reflex for us to constantly update.

It's amazes me everytime a tech question is asked to a support anywhere. The support person always asks back with quite a mundane note like "have you update, disable all services". And always follow on by 1-2 page of a series of long processes which at least 75% of the time does not lead to any answers/results.

I am assuming it's a bug/(or worst) with the blackout on system that is too fast for its hard-disk to catch up while watching AVI.

Even in the past, Windows Media Player, is not very efficient in playing DVD or even VCD. It tries to caches the entire disk before it starts playing it. Kind of Stupid to be engineered that way.

I have noticed alot of engineer design programs that are too smart until they function stupidly. Common sense is the best in a software design/coding.

• Proposed as answer by GoldenNaped Friday, November 20, 2009 7:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, November 14, 2011 6:55 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 11:51 AM
  • I am running windows 7 - 64 Bit and was having a problem with Windows Media Center
    When I opened Windows Media Center it would go to a black screen and the cursor would blink. It would never open Media Center and even CONTROL+ALT+DELETE would not even allow me to shut down the Media Center process to kill the program, I then would have to power down the PC. It use to work so I had to think of the only thing that could have changed and then I realized the only thing I changed was the install of a NVIDIA Geforce Video card. In system bios I turned on the onboard ATI video card again and now Windows 7 Media Center opens and plays as it should. It seems as though in my case my freezing of Media Center was caused by my PCI-E NVIDIA video card or video card driver. I am not really sure that the driver was compatible with windows 7 and maybe that is why I had a problem. Maybe this issue has been resolved already, I don't know but if anyone could tell me why I can not use my Geforce video card with windows 7 Media Center I would appreciate it. Thanks

Friday, November 20, 2009 7:17 AM
  • GoldenNaped:
    What specific videocard (manufacturer and model) did you install?  "nVidia GeForce" is the start of the name of every single videocard chipset that nVidia has ever made.

What drivers did you install - the ones that came on the CD in the box, the latest-available Forceware release from nVidia, or nothing (relied on Windows to install drivers automagically)?
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:07 AM
  • GoldenNaped:
    What specific videocard (manufacturer and model) did you install?  "nVidia GeForce" is the start of the name of every single videocard chipset that nVidia has ever made.

nVidia also makes Quadro chipsets for higher end workstations that are not GeForce cards.  I have one in one of my Win7 x64 Ultimate systems (my personal desktop) but it doesn't run MC all the time so I can't tell if it locks up like it does with my ATI card.
    Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:56 AM
  • @ Brian:
    :D
    I could have worded better:  should have been "every single desktop and notebook videocard."
    Again, :D (and, :oops: )

GoldenNapeed still needs to clarify what he has, though.  ;)

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Actually, what this shows is this isn't tied to ATI cards only.  Initial posts in other sites only talked about ATI cards and this problem.  It's obvious MS has a greater problem, but of course other than the unacceptable option presented by them weeks ago to reset MC to defaults, thus potentially losing customizations (perhaps including scheduled recordings and history), they've TOTALLY ignored us.  Perhaps it's time to dump MC and go to Sage and Linux.  I don't hear anyone having issues with Sage and locking up like this.
    Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Linda,

Your post is NOT the answer.  Please unmark it as the answer and help us find a solution.
    Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Linda,

Your post is NOT the answer.  Please unmark it as the answer and help us find a solution.

Agreed (even though I'm not having this issue, I'd still like to give what help I can.)
    Re-reading the posts in this thread, GoldenNaped is OT, though - he does have a very different issue that what everyone else has.
    GoldenNaped can't get MC to start at all, when he's using his nVidia card.  Works fine with his ATI IGP.

@ GoldenNaped:
    Try this.  Uninstall the drivers for both your ATI and nVidia graphics.  Reboot, enter BIOS, disable onboard video.
    Boot into Windows, and install the latest Forceware release for your nVidia card.  Reboot again.  MC work?
    Oh, and, what model/spec card did you get?
    -Chris

Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Are you running setpoint (4.80) from Logitech?

Sven.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 11:44 AM
  • Nope.

Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Information posted by me in these forums is provided "As-Is" with no warranties or rights conferred. Use at your own discretion/risk.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 11:04 PM
  • I have the same problem.  The screen goes black but ALT-F4 will close it without having to use Task Manager to kill it, but you can't watch or do anything until you do this.  I have my Power Options set to High Performance (no hibernation, no sleep), screen saver is disabled, and the monitor is set to never power off.  This is Win7 Pro x64 6.1.7600 (clean install on a freshly formatted HDD, NOT an upgrade) on a Dell Inspiron 545 (A11 BIOS), 8GB RAM, 1TB SATA drive.  I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 3450 (came OEM from Dell) connected to my Sony TV via HDMI using the driver posted to ATI's site as of 4 Oct 09 called 9-9_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu and have a Hauppauge HVR-1250 TV tuner.  I only installed the tuner drivers for the Hauppauge, not the entire TV set.  Win7 is a member computer in a 2003 Active Directory Domain.  Each time this happens MC is full screen (though on this PC I rarely have anything else running and there's essentially no other software other than Flash and Java installed.

Epaz, can you post back your configuration.  If you're using ATI video as well it may well be a video driver problem.  I'm going to post this again but under a different title becuase it's more of a "blackout" as ALT-F4 will close it so it's not really frozen, but just blanked or blacked out.  Maybe between the two of us we'll get more respones.

Sincerely,
    Brian Bergin
    Terabyte Computers, Inc.

Have any resolutions come up for this problem?  I am having the same problem as Brian.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 7:02 PM
  • I have the same issue with same setup - Windows 7 x64 RTM. Using onboard ATI video from 780G chipset. Video playback periodically locks up ONLY when replaying recorded TV. I can play live TV with no issues (SD and HD). I can play videos/movies that are downloaded (DIVX/XVID). But when I replay video I've recorded off of my tuners, occasionally, they simply freeze. I can press stop, wait 5 secs, press resume and things are good. One interesting thing, when it freezes during playback (no video/audio changes - just frozen picture on screen), the video is actually progressing behind the scenes. If I wait 3 minutes to do the stop/resume trick, 3 minutes will have elapsed when I resume.

Looking at event log, there are a TREMENDOUS amount of atimkdiag events logged - obviously ATI driver related. Running current drivers for all hardware, clean machine.

I have exactly the same problems as PSharkAuburn (both the freezing and the recording which goes fine even when Windows can't play television from any of the 2 tuners), I don't need to wait 5 seconds though.

System: Windows7 64bit , i5-750 , 6 gigabyte DDR3 RAM

I used a NVidia GT220. At a certain moment my computerscreen went black (yes, every annoying power saving option and screensaver has been disabled) and got frozen, I couldn't even turn off the numlock  button. Worse: I also couldn't play flash video or games while I could watch MKV-files.

Now i've installed an ATI-card (6850), unfortunately the freezing when I watch the buffered video still happens but at least the computer doesn't freeze, as long as it lasts.

Aparantly Microsoft seriously screwed up during the transition to 64 bit. I hope that someday someone will come with a solution. Next time I will buy an Apple anyway.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:48 AM
  • Have exactly the same problem but at least I think I've found out why.  The culprit appears to be searchindexer.exe.

My freeze is fairly random except that it will always occur when the tv listing update runs in the early am.

My setup:

- Windows 7 home premium

- Originally an ATI 4300 video card - now it's a Nvidia 430

- Hauppage PVR

- Asus N4L motherboard with 2M memory

- Home Server for pictures, music, etc.

I've gone thru a heck of lot of testing.  Here's what I did:

1. Replaced the ATI with Nvidia.  I too was seeing a bunch of errors and suspected the flood crippled the system.  Didn't fix anything.  Nothing in any of the system or media center logs; system just froze and required a reboot.

2. Replaced the hard drive and cable.  Denada.

3. Replaced the memory.  Denada,

4.  Replaced the hard drive.  Denada.

5. Double checked and reloaded all the latest drivers. Denada

6. Killed all the services that I could reasonably kill. Denada

7. Cleaned out all of the extraneous autoruns. Denada

8. Rebuilt the entire Windows 7 media center.  Turned of aero and only loaded Total Media Player.  Set up Home Server.  Went thru the autorun and service cleanup.  Downloaded all new drivers. Turned on monitors for temperature of CPUs and GPU - all remained fine.  Ran memory test for two days with no errors.  Denada and still not a single event log error posted - the system just stopped.

9,  After 6 months of frustration, 3rd party and system software tuning, and hardware replacement I was pretty convinced that the problem was in Windwos 7 or Media Center.  Finally set up sysproc internals and process explorer let them run all the time displaying results on a second monitor.  That way when the system totally locked up I could see what was running at the time.  Here's what I found when the system hung:

- ehshell running at 51% (media center key module)

- searchindexer - 37%

- sidebar, dwm, wmplayer, wudfhost, and svchosts running but all less than 10%

Searchindexer was off the chart with updates to WHS and directory.  Ehshell was obviously not a problem so I killed searchindexer.  For the first time in 6 months my system has not frozen overnight!  Then this morning it froze again with dwm running.  But how could that be since I was running classic theme?  Killed dwm and the system ran all day for the first time!

Please anyone else - if you are having the problem try killing searchindexer and see if it fixes your problem.

Please Microsoft - step up and address the problem rather than pointing at 3rd parties, memory, drivers, etc.  There's a real problem here that you need to fix in Windows 7.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 3:11 PM