Outlook365 ATP If junk email is turned off, will ATP forwarded emails still go there ? RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook365 ATP___If Outlook365 junk email is turned off, will ATP mail, forwarded to Junk folder  still go there ?

So if   Don't move email to my Junk Email folder

is checked in,

Office Outlook365,

My accounts,

My account,

Settings,

Mail,

Accounts,

Block_or_allow,

will suspected  ATP  bad email still be sent to the Junk email folder ?

• Edited by i-wonder-why Thursday, December 12, 2019 4:31 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my research, "Don't move email to my Junk Email folder" is a mailbox-level option. And ATP is an organization feature, it works before messages arrive your mailbox. So ATP will still work normally even you have checked "Don't move email to my Junk Email folder".

For your reference: Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection service description.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 13, 2019 3:06 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 16, 2019 7:29 AM
  • I am not sure if I can mark this as a solution.

A second source says:

This is Richard from Dell Office 365 Support. This email is regarding Case ID: 79312 - CST | EXO | ATP and Junk email folder. Sorry for the delayed response.

Regarding this query, if Junk folder is turned off on the client then all suspected ATP bad email will be sent to Exchange online quarantined emails. You can release the emails from there for the user’s to receive it on their inbox.

So how do I know who is  correct ?

Monday, December 16, 2019 5:14 PM
  • Aidan:  reading again what you said,

"So ATP will still work normally even you have checked "Don't move email to my Junk Email folder"."

You have not answered where the mails go. You said it just works normally.

Will the emails still go into the  Junk email folder ? That is my question.

Monday, December 16, 2019 5:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

ATP is a server-level filter, so whether you check "Don't move email to my Junk Email folder" or not, ATP will work as usual.

As for "Don't move email to my Junk Email folder" option, once it is checked, all messages that should have been moved to the Junk email folder are delivered to the inbox.

Then about your question, I cannot test in my environment since I have not configure ATP. So it is sugegsted to test this option yourself. One thing that can be confirmed is that If there were inspected ATP bad emails here that should have been moved to the Junk email folder, they would be moved to the inbox instead of the junk folder.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 7:08 AM
  • The problem is that I do not have the required  ATP  version/option to do a test.

That is why I am looking for someone who "knows" the answer to my question

and is not "guessing".

I think it will have to be someone "from Microsoft" to give an answer.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

There are several options when you configure ATP, if you select the option to move these suspected ATP bad email to Junk email folder, then they will be moved to Inbox once you check "Don't move email to my Junk Email folder".

For your reference: 

Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection.

Block or allow (junk email settings)

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Thursday, December 19, 2019 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Monday, December 23, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Since you cannot test and have never configured ATP, and I cannot test it either, I cannot confuse other readers by answering that this the true solution.  Sorry !
    Monday, December 23, 2019 4:10 PM
  • Hi,

That's ok.

I have done a lot of research about your issue although here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook desktop client. And I'm unable to test for you since I don't configure ATP either.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Wednesday, December 25, 2019 8:10 AM