How do I dedicate a network card and have a vm box use the same static address RRS feed

• Question

• I need to have a virtual machine use the same address of  one of my real network cards with a static internet address.  Basically I am trying to do a pass thru of the address.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:02 AM

All replies

• You can't have 2 NICs with the same IP.  You should remove the IP address from the physical NIC and give it to the virtual machine.  All the traffic will then go to the virtual server.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 6:31 PM
  • The Host is setup as shown below:

I have NIC 1 actual hardware all protocols removed except Microsoft virtual switch Protocol selected.

Virtual NIC is mapped as External and Allow Management Operating System to share this network adapter is unchecked.

The Virtual Machine Server 2008 R2 Setup:

Client for Microsoft networks checked

QoS Packet Scheduler Checked

File and Print Sharing Checked

TCPIP v4 Checked

The NIC has Static routable public address information plugged into the setups

7x.9x.x.85  IP Address

255.255.255.248  Mask

7x.9x.x.86 gateway

4.4.4.4.    DNS

I have the second network card disabled temporarily until I have this worked out.  It then will be enabled to use  the private network.

Monday, June 20, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Uh, you're talking about Hyper-V, this forum and my post was for Virtual Server.  There's the confusion.

You should post Hyper-V related questions to the Hyper-V forum here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads

Monday, June 20, 2011 5:31 PM