File Association Icons Missing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a shared folder published via citrix which has mostly excel, word and pdf documents. Double clicking on file opens with correct program, like .xls opens with excel, .doc opens with word.

However, the icons are not displaying.  I packaged explorer with app-v and linked office and adobe acrobat package in the osd file, with the hope that it will be seamless

I tried so far

1. Added the file type associations at the package level in app-v management console. in the filetypes tab.

2. right click on file in shared folder, open with and choose excel as program check the box where it says open with and "Select always open with this program",  but icons still don't show.

These missing icons are driving me crazy and i have spent a lot of time on this already. can someone help?

Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:30 PM

All replies

• More info , I did another test with my ID with another share on one of the citrix servers in the farm and it works as expected

1. Pointed the windows explorer OSD file to the test share on another citrix server farm. This citrix server has app-v client installed on it.

2. Launched the published app , with my ID and everything works as expected. I can see the icons and launch them with correct program

3. Ruled out the user doesn't need to be a admin on citrix server(i am admin ), either way it breaks for a regular user.

So, that remote share that's on the server at client site, that holds the files, does something need to be done on that server? App-v client is not on this server.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:08 PM
  • More info again, sorry.

PDF files and the icons show correct for the regular user, on the remote share on Citrix server.

Excel is still broke, so something going on with office apps, office apps are packaged with app-v and linked in the windows explorer packaged with app-v. same for acrobat reader which is packaged with app-v and linked(DSC) and that works, where as excel doesn't

Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Take a look at the Excel/Office package - App-V 4.x includes icons for applications and file types in an Icons subfolder of the package. Ensure that the icons are in the right location, that permissions on that folder is correct and that the package published in the Management Server has the path to the icons folder listed correctly.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Thank you Aaron, all this checked out fine. Still issue persists

I have cleared app-v global cache on server, deleted user profile and still no-go..

Monday, March 18, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Enable a verbose log on the client and see what is logged during a publish action for those applications to the affect users.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, March 18, 2013 5:58 PM