Keeping text boxes after printing to PDF RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to be able to print the word document to PDF and have the Word Text boxes appear as Text boxes in PDF, with the editable, movable functionality.

I have played around with different methods of saving to PDF or printing to PDF and nothing seems to work at this stage.

It does not need to be a text box in word, it just needs to end up a text box in PDF.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:36 AM

Answers

• You need software that can produce PDF forms, I believe.

I remember Acrobat has such a feature, which can automatically convert the Word file to a PDF file and look for characteristics that indicate form fields, things such as underlines or text boxes. These objects will then automatically be converted to interactive form fields in PDF.

For a demo of that process, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0PPzFq3X00 Do note that this applies to the conversion of Word forms, including formfields, not to textboxes, per se, which are static objects when imported.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Bryan315 Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:32 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:55 AM

I remember Acrobat has such a feature, which can automatically convert the Word file to a PDF file and look for characteristics that indicate form fields, things such as underlines or text boxes. These objects will then automatically be converted to interactive form fields in PDF.

You might want to have a check on their website.

Edit - add the link, just for your reference:

https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/how-to/create-fillable-pdf-forms-creator.html

(Disclaimer: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:31 AM

All replies

• That simply isn't possible with PDFs produced by MS Office products - or any other product, for that matter, when using a PDF 'printer'.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:57 AM

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:30 AM

You might want to have a check on their website.

Edit - add the link, just for your reference:

https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/how-to/create-fillable-pdf-forms-creator.html

(Disclaimer: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:31 AM

For a demo of that process, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0PPzFq3X00 Do note that this applies to the conversion of Word forms, including formfields, not to textboxes, per se, which are static objects when imported.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Bryan315 Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:32 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:55 AM
  • You guys are champions... Thanks
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:32 AM
  • You guys are champions... Thanks

You're welcome :-).

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:40 AM