Installing updates but not rebooting RRS feed

• Question

• I am working with a client that is unhappy with their current patching solution (Ivanti Endpoint Manager) and I would like to suggest a move to WSUS as an interim step to bringing in SCCM in a year or so when their contract is up. The one thing the company is holding onto for any replacements is Ivanti's ability to set up a group to apply patches but don't reboot. They have a number of servers that are patched every month, but only reboot once a quarter. Am I wrong that this is still not something we can do with WSUS? Last I knew if patches required a reboot the server would do so unless an administrator is logged in, in which case it would notify and go into a pending reboot state. Not only do they not want these servers to reboot; they are utility servers for their document management system which are rarely logged into.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can control client-behavior by GPO.

Unfortunately i can only provide a german Screenshot of the setting, so i looked in google and found this:

http://indiawebsearch.com/files/image/2011/WindowsUpdatesUsingLocalGroupPolicy/6ConfigureSettingsForWindowsUpdate.gif

This is only configuration you can do with wsus.

regards,

patrick

Thursday, June 27, 2019 12:31 PM
  • Thanks for this. I am familiar with this setting; my question was more around the reboot that comes after patch installs. I have a requirement for certain servers to be patched every month but only rebooted every quarter.
    Friday, June 28, 2019 7:56 PM
  • Hello,

To the patch be applied the server has to be rebooted. You can create a Maintenance Windows to configure when deploy and reboot you servers.

Their is no other way to apply Microsoft Patches.

Regards

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:34 AM