Windows 7 laptop startup repair nightmare screen RRS feed

• Question

• My mother bought a GATEWAY laptop NV73A17U in July from HSN... and has had it stored in its original packaging in her bedroom since purchase. She sold it to me today, and said she opened it once when it arrived to make sure everything was there. I unpacked it and plugged it in, charged the battery, and tried to start it. When I press the power button it does its normal Gateway is starting windows loading page... then immediately goes to a black screen with a blinking line then onto a black screen with a prompt stating that it is having trouble opening windows, that a recent upload or software change may have caused the problem, or a file may be corrupt. It then gives me two options…1- to use windows startup repair (recommended) or 2-start Windows anyway.  I tried to start windows anyway and it came back to the black page with the two options, and I have tried doing the Windows startup repair troubleshooter on 5 separate occasions and each time it just gets stuck on the blue screen with the swirly things on it. No words, nothing but the arrow for the pointer (which I can move about but there is nothing to do with it). I have let it sit that this screen for up to 2 hours just to make sure that it was not in fact checking windows and simply taking its time finding and repairing... but it never moves or changes.  I have tried pressing F8 at the startup menu and starting it in SafeMode but it goes right back to the original black screen with the statement that Windows is having trouble loading and blah blah choose an option. I also tried F10 to restore the factory settings, but it will not load that either. It also takes me back to the same screen. I am at wits end here, and have no idea what to do next. If anyone can help me... please do. It is Windows 7 64-bit. I thank you.

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:36 AM

Answers

• Sounds like a hard drive issue OR Windows needs to be re-installed using an actual Windows 7 Installation disk.  Your local compute repair shop should easily tell you if your hard drive is at fault at no charge (if they want money then they just want to scam you).

Anyway, if your hard drive is good, then Windows 7 needs to be re-installed and since you can't access the recovery partition, you can call Gateway and request recovery DVDs at a small fee (usually $20-30)

Good luck

Thank you! Computer Repair Kissimmee
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:02 AM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:30 PM