none
Removed Mail Server from Exchange System Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I'm working with Exchange Server 2003, and I removed the mail server from Exchange System Manager>Administrative Groups. Is there a way to add a mail server again? I tried to remove Exchange from my server and install it back several times... and the server/Exchange System Manager doesn't recognize the server where it is itself installed.

Does anyone know how to fix this, I haven't done any Exchange configuration rather than the installation pre-requisites.

Pancho
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:01 PM

All replies

• Another thing... at the Internet Mail Wizard, when is the turn to Configure the Internet Delicery and you select the Server in the organization, I do not have any Server to choose! So I cannot go through this wizard either.

Pancho
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:32 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Sukh828 Friday, October 21, 2011 7:39 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Hi,

1.   Insert the Microsoft Exchange CD.

2.   Click Start, click Run, and then type <drive>:\SETUP\I386\Setup.exe /disasterrecovery, where <drive> is the CD-ROM drive.

Download Exchange 2003 Disaster Recovery Operations Guide document:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125070(EXCHG.65).aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 5:31 AM
  • When you removed the server from the ESM you removed from active directory. This will not work with the command >:\SETUP\I386\Setup.exe /disasterrecovery, where <drive> is the CD-ROM driveWhat you have do Authrestore of active Directory. here is the article how to do it.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241594

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP:Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCTS:OCS 2007 | Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCSA:Messaging | Security | MCSE:Messaging | Security
    Friday, October 21, 2011 6:06 AM
  • Hi, will this Authoritative restore change my server function from a member server to a Domain Controller? because I don't want that. or how does that work?
    Pancho
    Monday, October 24, 2011 5:33 PM
  • It will restore the active directory configuration to the state the last time backup was taken. It would not promote your member server to being a Domain Controller.

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP:Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCTS:OCS 2007 | Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCSA:Messaging | Security | MCSE:Messaging | Security
    Monday, October 24, 2011 5:39 PM
  • I tried this step, the wizard tells me that I need to run setup with the /ForestPrep switch before installing into this forest, and that a server object for this server ("my mailserver") must exist in the Active Directory in order to recover this server.

I ran the /ForestPrep again and keeps saying that the component cannot be assigned the action "Disaster Recovery".

Pancho
    Monday, October 24, 2011 5:52 PM
  • In order for Disaster recovery switch to work you need the computer object in AD. Which is missing in your case since you removed it from the ESM which in turn removed it from the AD.

So first thing is that you need to do the Authrestore of the AD and then only try all oterh steps.

Monday, October 24, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Is that your only Exch server?

Is your email working?

Sukh
    Monday, October 24, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Hi Sukh,

This is the only exchange server we have, right now our email is being hosted by the cloud. We had a mail server that broke down, in the meanwhile trying to install Exchange in this server. Thanks for following up!

Pancho
    Monday, October 24, 2011 9:35 PM
  • It sounds logic now that you say it, I'm just concern about this Authoritative Active Directory restore procedure, because I'm not an expert IT and haven't worked with Active Directory and Domain Controllers before, everything is new and learning a lot with such a great help from you guys!

So do I need to do the Authoritative AD restore on my Domain Controller or could be on the Member Server (MAILSERVER)?

Pancho
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Hi

Not sure if you have a hybrid deployment where you use both the cloud and on premise but if there is no reliant on the Exchange server (on-premise) then you can remove Exch completely (the Exch Org) and do a new Exch Org deployment.  Not sure if this is what youre looking for.

This will completely remove Exch from your Domain, i.e no email for on premise.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273478

Sukh
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:18 PM
  •     No, I don't have a hybrid deployment. That is right, I want to remove Exchange completely from my email server, I have tried /removeorg, ADSIedit.msc to remove it manually and the Installation Wizard. I really believe they work, but in my case, there is something that stays in the server memory. Let me explain this a liitle more: I could remove Exch manually and checked C:\Programs_Files and there is no remnant of Exchange, I uninstalled SMTP and NNTP components and restarted the mail server and the Domain Controller server.

Everytime after performing these steps, Installed the prerequisites, Inserted the Exchange CD to start a fresh installation, but on the window where I have to choose to run /ForestPrep, the Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services line still appears checked as if it is installed and haven't been removed. I just don't know where this is stored so I can get rid off it.

Pancho
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:09 PM
  • If you have tried to remove using the remove switch and you cant see your Exch Org below

OpenADSI Edit->expand Configuration Container->clickCN=Configuration, DC=Domain_Name,DC=com->click CN=Service->click CN=Microsoft Exchange->right-click theCN=Organization_Name object->click Delete->click Yes in every adsiedit dialog box that prompts you to confirm the deletion.

Then Exch isnt there.  I would then say the issue is with that server and you may have to do a rebuild and start a fresh Exch install.

Sukh
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Hi Jasjit,

I can still see the email server on AD. Is Authorestore have to be performed on member server or Domain Controller or does it matter?

Pancho
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Auth restore has to be performed on the Domain Controller

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:51 PM
  • When you removed the Exchange from ESM it removed the server object from the configuration partition in the Active Directory. Result: Your server was gone from AD when I say AD it gone from the Configuration partition but the object still exist in Domain partition so you can see it in ADUC under computer OU. But this removal from ESM has left your Exchange in disarray, the binaries and the registry entries are still there on the Exchange server.

The solution would have been doing the auth restore of the AD which will bring the server back in configuration partition and since binaries and the registry entries is already there your server should work fine.

But looks like you already removed the binaries from the exchange server. But you might have registry entries still there.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:04 PM
  • See this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396 

I would try to manually, go through the eentire article

Also, if the binaries have been removed I would consider a rebuild but see the KB first.

Sukh
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Hi Sukh,

I followed step by step the entire article, and it deleted Exchange from my mailserver. So I tried to install it again, and everything went good until I opened the System Manager, and didn't see my server under the Administrative Group Folder. I think my next step is to rebuild the mailserver, because I really don't want to mess around with the Domain Controller, I won't feel comfortable doing it. Unless is my last option!

Pancho
    Friday, October 28, 2011 5:32 PM