none
Log on to an RDS server with IE 9.0 and the favourites are gone RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have most of our RDS Server running IE 8.0  but When a user logs on to an RDS  Server which has IE 9.0 installed the favourites are gone. The favourites are deleted. I can restore the favourites folder but it's almost a 1000 users that I'll have to do this for.

Any ideas as to what causes. any fixes

Cheers,

JP

• Edited by JPPhilip Friday, May 31, 2013 6:01 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 5:54 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

Here is the fix My colleague pull this out from the forums.

Refer to link:-

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/fc1fc031-73a7-45c5-95f1-b7ae527b7e90

It turns out this is my fault. The problem doesn't happen if you do a generic install of IE9 off the web. In our case, we used Microsoft's IE9 customization kit to make an unattended installer. Page 16 (Browsing Options) of that installer has an option to:

• Delete all existing favorites
    • only delete items created by the Administrator
    • Don't delete any items

I do not recall what the default is any longer, but I certainly did click on "Delete all existing favorites" trying to prevent the default junk favorites from MS from installing. So if you are experiencing this problem, go and fix your automated installer or create a customization file only install to fix existing deployments of windows 7.

• Marked as answer by JPPhilip Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:59 PM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:58 PM

All replies

• Hi JP...

where are the 'Favorites' mapped to?

type

shell:favorites

in the IE address bar to open up a Windows explorer dialog at the 'favorites' folder.

under this key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

entries should be prefixed with %userprofile%

Rob^_^

Sunday, June 2, 2013 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried the above setting, that but the favourites still get deleted,

we redirect he favourites to the users home drive using Group Policy.

shell:favorites come up to the H:\ where we redirect our favorites to

any ideas?

Cheers,

JP

• Edited by JPPhilip Tuesday, June 4, 2013 6:20 AM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 5:18 AM
  • Hi,

Are you able to see the shortcuts in H:\?

Try redirecting the user favorites folder to H:\folder\ and check the result.

If any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 7, 2013 5:16 AM
  • Hi Tracy,

Yes I can see the shortcuts, becasue it's the users home drive,

even before I open IE 9.0 for the first time, the minute I launch IE 9.0 it wipes them clean.

If I restore the users favourites after he launches IE 9.0 it reamins there , but the first launch of IE 9.0 clean's them out.  

Cheers,

JP

Friday, June 7, 2013 5:22 AM
  • Hi All,

Here is the fix My colleague pull this out from the forums.

Refer to link:-

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/fc1fc031-73a7-45c5-95f1-b7ae527b7e90

It turns out this is my fault. The problem doesn't happen if you do a generic install of IE9 off the web. In our case, we used Microsoft's IE9 customization kit to make an unattended installer. Page 16 (Browsing Options) of that installer has an option to:

• Delete all existing favorites
    • only delete items created by the Administrator
    • Don't delete any items

I do not recall what the default is any longer, but I certainly did click on "Delete all existing favorites" trying to prevent the default junk favorites from MS from installing. So if you are experiencing this problem, go and fix your automated installer or create a customization file only install to fix existing deployments of windows 7.

• Marked as answer by JPPhilip Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:59 PM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:58 PM