none
How do I set up a Remote desktop connection from outside of the network using a router that has static IP? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone and thanks in advance.

I'm kind of new to the server side of IT and we are having problems accessing our server from outside of the company. Telecom provider told us the perfect solution would be static IP and so we have activated it, but (as they have explained it), I cannot assign it to a single device (the server), it is assigned to the router and the router assigns internal IP addresses further.

So, I should be able to access the server using Remote desktop connection with only using those two addresses

(for example, static is 100.101.102.103

and internal of the server is 192.168.1.100,

if I open RDC and put in 100.101.102.103\192.168.1.100

it should all work and I should be able to connect to the server from anywhere.

But, the connection is not working. RDC immediately states that "Windows does not recognize the name specified in the computer name field. Verify that the name is typed correctly, and then try again".

So, any help at all would be appreciated.

We are using Windows Server 2016

Thursday, June 27, 2019 8:55 AM

All replies

• On your router you need to use NAT. That is short for Network Address Translation and if you configure that traffic for IP address 100.101.102.103 will be 'natted' on port 3389 to local IP address 192.168.1.100.

BUT: You should never expose your server through RDP to the Internet. It is like you are a sitting duck. Very bad idea.

Either you configure Remote Desktop Gateway or use VPN of some flavor to connect to your server

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:27 AM
  •  

Hi,

Have you set up the RD Gateway Role? It grants users on public networks access to internal resources with secure connection.

Reference:

Remote Desktop Services - Access from anywhere

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-plan-access-from-anywhere

How to securely deploy Remote Desktop Services (RDS) with the Gateway Role

https://www.itpromentor.com/secure-rds/

Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 11:06 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? Please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed.

Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 6:43 AM