XP> VISTA ultimet Upgrade, freezes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys.
    XP>VISTA ultimate(upgrade)
    I'm having the same problem.My machine is sony fs680 laptop.
    After  installation is done, it reboots and freezes.I've try to run vista on the safe mode and it's stops on the file named   crcdisk.sys  . I was doing some research online and some people are saying that problem is with a sata hard drive drivers(If  I'm wrong please correct).
    I  called a Microsoft customer support center , i waste my time:) No one even know what is crcdisk.sys there.
    I read the thread about disconnecting my monitor, but it is a laptop and i need somehow to plug a second display.
    Thanks for your time.
    +++MY OLD POST++

- I have enough  memory space to install Vista 40 Gig.
     -I'm upgrading my XP

I've install Vista 4 times, and every time i got the same problem.
    When the installation is done, computer  reboots ,  you can see the loading screen is going,after 1 minute my hard drive is not showing me any activity.

I try :
    - press enter many times( no jokes, some guy post that it may be helpful:)
    -Upgrade my drivers,i have the last one from Sony

If you are load Vista  with a safe mode, you can see loading progress
    Loading : example.sys
    Loading :example.sys
    +Loading: crcdisk.sys +  It stops right here, I'm sure this is my problem.

Thanks for any help.

Please do not suggest to contact  Vista support line:)

Saturday, February 3, 2007 12:36 AM

All replies

• I am having the exact same problem when upgrading my XP to Vista Business.

I have plenty of memory space on my hard drive as well. (around 80 gig)

Sunday, February 11, 2007 11:44 PM
  • ahamay 1r,

How are you doing today?  Sounds like you have been through your own fair share of run-arounds.  Hopefully, we can end the run-arounds together!  So you are upgrading Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista Ultimate Edition?  Everything goes fine until after your reboot, right?  Well, part of understanding what actually is happening here, is to understand what is actually happening to your machine when it is instructed to upgrade to Windows Vista from Windows XP.

First of all, I wouldn't be so bold as to call the upgrade to Windows Vista an actual upgrade.  In fact, it really isn't an upgrade, as much as a lock and reload.  Let me explain.  When instructed to upgrade, your machine will gather all your settings, profile data, network connections, and program data (if you are upgrading from Windows XP, its also great to mention that all of your applications will move right along with you to the brand-newly installed Windows Vista) and lock that data in place.  Because this installation is carrying over so much data to the new OS, its a safe bet that if you just instruct your computer to upgrade without first consulting the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor, which can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=42B5AC83-C24F-4863-A389-3FFC194924F8&displaylang=en, you will more than likely encounter a problem.  Nonetheless, after your machine locks down all data to be migrated to the new OS, it will flush out Windows XP and reload in its place Windows Vista (FYI - The old Windows directory files from Windows XP will still be carried over to Windows Vista for your convienence, and should be located in a folder named: Windows.old).  All of your hardware drivers will be rediscovered, reinstalled, an reloaded if better ones are not found on the Windows Vista instalation media.  It is at this stage of the installation, where I believe your machine took a turn for the worse.

All that aside, you still have an issue. An issue that deals with the crcdisk.sys system file.  An issue that I believe has something to do with your SATA HDD driver that was installed in Windows XP.  I think it could be safe to say that it doesnt support Windows Vista yet.

So now I know what your thinking, thats great James, youve helped me possibly understand my issue, but how to I resolve this issue?  There really is no solution that I know of until all of your hardware is supported by Windows Vista.  I would reccomend getting on the phone with Sony, as they were the manufacture that sold you the laptop with the issue in question.  Microsoft will be completely unhelpful as I believe this is a HDD controller error.  This is alos where I am sorry to point out that migrating from Windows XP is like taking a one-way ticket to Windows Vista.  There is no path back.  If you have all of your data backed up however, you should be able to wipe the system back to Windows XP and then recover from your backup.

I will definately keep you in mind, and if I notice anything new from Sony arrise surrounding their fs680 laptop series with regards to Windows Vista, I will be sure to post.  I  am sorry that I couldn't provide you with a better solution, but it is far better, in my oppinion, to understand what your dealing with and the difficulty of the situation, then have a bunch of people send you in a run-around.  On a last note, if you could restore Windows XP to its former glory, and send me an e-mail, I might be able to help you structure your upgrade smoother and bypass this problem!

I hope this has helped in some way!  As always, if you have any questions feel free to send them to me with QUESTION in the subject line, and I will see what I can do!

Good Luck,

James Zepp | MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCTS, MCT | Acxsis | Trainer 

Email:  JZepp@acxsis.net

Monday, February 12, 2007 2:26 PM
  • I used the advisory tool before I installed Vista and uninstalled all of the programs it told me to uninstall.

I have a SATA hard drive as well.  A 160 gig Western Digital sata.

I have been unable to fix the problem.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 11:33 PM
  • I have read some of the other posts that have had similar problems but they have not helped.
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 12:51 AM
  •  JZepp wrote:

(FYI - The old Windows directory files from Windows XP will still be carried over to Windows Vista for your convienence, and should be located in a folder named: Windows.old). 

... the actual folders after the upgrade start with: $inplace, $windows (hidden).

[i'd check a setupact.log, setupapi.dev.log and setupapi.app.log file to see if crcdisk is the real issue.

to locate them check this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928901

you'll need to boot from dvd and enter command prompt then type 'notepad'. access your log file.

good luck

Thursday, February 15, 2007 2:05 PM
  • i will try that tonight and see what it says and post back tomarrow hopefully.
    Friday, February 16, 2007 10:09 PM
  • I found the logs but i am not sure what they all mean.  I can give a copy of them to you to look at if you want to see if you find anything.  That would be a great help.
    Saturday, February 17, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Hello

I solved the problem by installing Vista , not upgraiding.

It runs good. Also if you have sony fs, you will need to download audio drivers.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 9:27 PM
  • No, my computer is custom built.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 2:05 PM
  • im thinking that it may be my graphics card that is causing the problem.  anyone agree?
    its an ati radeon 9000.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 6:58 PM