none
Allow AD Security group to manage Public Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2010.

I have set up a shared inbox for outlook with a user account for the email address and a security group for access. This is working fine.

I have also created various public folders with shared calendars in.
    I want the security group I use for the above to manage the public folders and their calendars.
    However as the security group setup isn't listed in exchange to avoid confusion with the email account, I can't seam to pick it as an Owner of a shared calendar or public folder.

Hope this is explained enough, any questions just ask.

Thanks.

• Edited by Deew0n Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:27 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:26 PM

Answers

• We are looking to upgrade to 2010 soon, is this something better managed in there?

Public Folder permissions works the same way in Exchange 2010.
    Permissions can only be assigned to recipients that are visible in the GAL.

Martina Miskovic

Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    If you want the members in the Security Group to be able to manage the Public Folders you have created, you need to mailenable it before you can give it owner permission. That is a requirement.

When done, you can hide it from the GAL if you want to but not before.

Martina Miskovic

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Thanks for your quick response.

While this does solve the issue, annoyingly when hidden from GAL I can't use it to add permissions to in exchange. So like you said I have to hide it once I'm done.

But this means whenever I need to add the group to any other folders I need to unhide it, wait for it to update across, add it and change it back. During this time users may end up sending emails to the wrong entry.

I have looked into just copying the permissions from a previous folder whenever I set up a new one but it seams I can only propergate the permissions up/down the tree when using PFDAVAdmin so will be unable to do this if the folder is elsewhere or needs more than one group added.

We are looking to upgrade to 2010 soon, is this something better managed in there?

• Edited by Deew0n Friday, February 22, 2013 10:13 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 10:12 AM
  • We are looking to upgrade to 2010 soon, is this something better managed in there?

Public Folder permissions works the same way in Exchange 2010.
    Permissions can only be assigned to recipients that are visible in the GAL.

Martina Miskovic

Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:57 AM