Can I run psconfig parallelly for farm upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to remote to the farm servers using powershell and run psconfig on them. But, can I do this parallelly on all the servers at a time or does it have to be one by one (central admin server first and so on)?
    shazinus
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:45 PM

Answers

• HI,

It has to be one by one starting from central admin server since it updates the database and if you run it in a  parallel way it will create locks over database and will result in failure. Hence run it in the suggest way.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:27 AM
  • In a SharePoint 2007 farm you have to run psconfig one by one on each server in the farm. Psconfig applies updates to SharePoint's databases when it runs, and if you try to run it in parallel on multiple servers it can cause conflicts in the update process and corrupt the farm's databases.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:26 AM

All replies

• In a SharePoint 2007 farm you have to run psconfig one by one on each server in the farm. Psconfig applies updates to SharePoint's databases when it runs, and if you try to run it in parallel on multiple servers it can cause conflicts in the update process and corrupt the farm's databases.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:26 AM
  • HI,

It has to be one by one starting from central admin server since it updates the database and if you run it in a  parallel way it will create locks over database and will result in failure. Hence run it in the suggest way.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:27 AM