HELP !!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small problem with a flashing blue question mark which turns to a red circle with a slash through it and occasion brings up a message box (see pciture)

and i was just wondering what i can do to get rid of it. It is driving me crazy. No spyware or adaware programs are getting rid of it.. no matter how many scans i run.

Please help !!

Monday, May 7, 2007 12:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• This is an anti-spy ware spoof. They usually masquerade as web bars or helpers in your add and remove programs applet. Most will reinstall themselves from the internet while you are uninstalling them. So, you will need to get a good antivirus and anti-spy ware program run those while dissconnected from the net to get rid of them. It really helps to keep up on Microsoft updates.
      In a worst case scenario, you may need to pull your drives and install them or use an external ide/usb converter to scan them from a well protected machine.
      Good luck! I have actually found it easier to nuke a drive and reinstall everything from scratch, but I keep constant backups.

Monday, May 7, 2007 2:38 AM
  • For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

• Edited by Sabrina Shen Friday, April 6, 2012 4:35 AM PCSafety Center update
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 11:47 AM
  • Good Call
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 12:45 PM