Windows Update Annoying Error !! URgeNT !! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, recently, there are these few updates from Windows Update. I managed to install some of them except for Security Update for Windows Vista (KB950582), Update for Windows Vista (KB951978, KB952709, KB955020). After installing, they prompt me to restart for completion. After that, during the restart, they show it is configuring the updates. But then, it will say "Updates are not configured properly. Reverting changes.." After that, back in the Windows, it says Updates failed to install. Any idea how to fix this ? It is very annoying as it keeps on asking me to install and restart ....
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 2:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Chewyeong

Reboot the computer, close any running programs, including any anti Virus or Anti Spyware programs.

Perform the following steps carefully to reset the Windows Update component.

*Note: These steps will also reset the Windows Update History. This will not effect any updates that are already installed.

1. Stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Click Start/All Programs/Accessories. Right click 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run As Administrator'. Click 'Continue' on the UAC prompt.

b. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits 

2. Rename the "Catroot2" folder. To do this, follow these steps:

Type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command.

net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc

3. Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:

Type the following command, and then press Enter.

ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

4. Register the files that are used by Windows Update. To do this, follow these steps:

a. At the command prompt, type the following commands, press ENTER after each command, and then click OK every time that you receive a verification message:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wucltux.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuwebv.dll

5. Start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, the Automatic Updates service, and the Event Log service. To do this, follow these steps:

a. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    net start Eventlog
    exit

Reboot the computer.

Wait at least a couple of hours before trying Windows Update again.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:29 PM
  •  

Dear Mr Ronnie,

I tried your methods suggested above but still to no avail. It still shows "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting Changes." Back in windows, the status in the update histroy shows Failed. I still need help. Thanks.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 6:59 PM
  • Chewyeong

Sorry that did not work for you.

I recommend that you try the following support options.

You can connect directly with the Microsoft Support Engineers at the following link.

Windows Update No-Charge, Unlimited Support:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Try the support newsgroups here, this is where the Windows Update experts answer questions.

Discussions in Windows Update:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&cat=en_US_56d1dd45-de9e-4fc5-9bc1-2d1d0de6daee&lang=en&cr=US

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Sunday, July 13, 2008 7:27 PM