Windows 98 hard drive data transfer to Windows XP PRO RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old tower with a cathode-ray VDU from 1999 with Windows 98.

I want to bin all the hardware, including 3.5" hard drive, and keep all the software, including Windows 98. As there are some applications which only run on 98.

I have a laptop with XP PRO SP3, what are my options? Can I clone the old hard drive then use with my laptop? And if so, what applications can I use to do this?

• Edited by GaryJacobs Friday, February 24, 2012 12:46 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 12:43 PM

Answers

• Installing Windows 98 on a current laptop will be a real challenge and cloning is very, very doubtful considering the difference in hardware.

First challenge will be finding hardware drivers for Windows 98.

Then you may run into real challenges getting Windows 98 to actually install and run.  The last time I installed Win 98 a long time ago, I had problems because of the CPU speed and too much system memory.  That was almost 10 years ago and I cannot tell you right now what I had to do to finally get Win 98 installed and running.

I think it will very unusual if anyone claims to have Win 98 running on an Acer Aspire One.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by GaryJacobs Monday, February 27, 2012 4:34 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hardware wise what you want to do is questionable.  You are not really very clear on exactly what you want to do.

Do you want to replace Windows XP with your Windows 98?  If so, you will have to do a lot of research to determine if the necessary hardware drivers are available for Windows 98 to run on your laptop.

Cloning is probably out of the question because of the difference in hardware.  Windows is not very tolerant of changing to different hardware.

You need to be very clear and specific as to exactly what it is you want to do for anyone to make an informed response.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, February 24, 2012 1:12 PM
  • I want to transfer all the data from my old PC(tower) hard drive to my new PC(laptop) hard drive. I have an extra hard drive which I can install in my laptop as the primary hard drive.

I did think that cloning, the old PC hard drive to the new PC extra hard drive, was an option. My new PC is an Acer Aspire One, has anyone run Windows 98 on this PC before?

Saturday, February 25, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Installing Windows 98 on a current laptop will be a real challenge and cloning is very, very doubtful considering the difference in hardware.

First challenge will be finding hardware drivers for Windows 98.

Then you may run into real challenges getting Windows 98 to actually install and run.  The last time I installed Win 98 a long time ago, I had problems because of the CPU speed and too much system memory.  That was almost 10 years ago and I cannot tell you right now what I had to do to finally get Win 98 installed and running.

I think it will very unusual if anyone claims to have Win 98 running on an Acer Aspire One.

• Marked as answer by GaryJacobs Monday, February 27, 2012 4:34 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 5:45 PM