none
Down-arrows in the Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on creating a Windows 10 Edu 1607 image using MDT. After deploying the wim to a vm, the Start Menu of local Administrator, or any other user I login as, has down-arrows on many of the tiles like this:

If I click any of the tiles with the down-arrows it brings me here:

When I install using the DVD I don't end up with any tiles with down-arrows.  For what it's worth I have a contact at another organization who's also working on a Windows 10 Edu 1607 image using MDT and he has the same issue.

Can anyone explain this?

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 9:11 PM

All replies

• There is a recent thread on this. Pay particular attention to Michael's reply

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6388e2b1-b567-41c1-9f93-803600418878/reference-image-start-menu-icons-most-show-down-arrow-what-is-this-how-do-i-fix-it?forum=mdt

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:24 AM
  • Thanks Ty. 

For those finding this thread, I think the policy Michael means is "Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences", not "Disable consumerization features.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 3:00 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I have had this posted already on anwers.microsoft.com and been advised to post it in the technet, too. So here's a solution that worked for me.

I've ran into the problem with a specific domain user on a fresh installed Windows 10 1809. Where some of the tiles e.g. MSN Weather didn't show up and got a down-arrow. All availlable Windows Updates were done.

Tried a lot by deleting and recreating the user profiles nothing worked.

But then:

I've opened up the Microsoft Store and searched for MSN Weather (one of the missing Tiles with a down arrow).

I could see that the button for Download was available.

JUST CLICKED ON DOWNLOAD AND AFTER FINISHING ALL TILES SHOWED UP NICE.

The whole Start Menu was created fine.

Hope that this will help.

Greets Patrick

• Proposed as answer by ppinbusiness Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:18 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:18 PM
  • This is an old thread, but if you disabled store updates during the creation of your reference image, don't forget to turn them back on by removing the registry key that disabled it.

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore /v AutoDownload /f

You should see the store apps auto update after logging in for the first time. The speed of which also depends on how fast your internet connection is.

Daniel Vega

Friday, August 9, 2019 2:00 PM