Internet Explorer 10 New Tab problem RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ok, I’am domain admin and recently, I have created (under Windows Server 2012):

1. User IE 10 GPP (User Configuration > Preferences > Control Panel Settings > Internet Settings (Internet Explorer 10))

2. General IE GPO.

There is small number of Windows 7 SP1 x64 workstations with IE 10 installed, and there I have one big problem: IE 10 open target="_blank" links in new window instead of new tab!

In User GPP for IE 10, I have this settings:

No GPO is defined for tab behavior.

That GPP is successfully applied to the (Windows 7 SP1 x64 (with latest windows updates applied)) workstations with IE 10.

But, then the problem starts:

if user IS member local or domain admin group, IE 10 open links with target="_blank" in new tab.

If user IS NOT member of local or domain admin group, every target="_blank" is open in new window. Even CTRL + mouse click open normal links in new window, instead of new tab. Same as if I right click link and select "open in new tab" - new windows again!

I did reset IE settings (Internet Options > Advanced > Reset) couple of times on many workstations, it didnt help.

Please help me, tnx!

Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:12 PM

All replies

• When a popup is encountered "Always open a popup in a new window".

Popup handling outcomes can also depend upon which Security zone your website maps to, other Addons (with their own popup blockers) you have installed or how the 'links' have been coded in your web pages.

Rob^_^

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Hi Rob, other than Java and Flash plugins, I don’t have IE 10 addons.

The same bad behavior I’m getting in local intranet, trusted sites and internet IF the user IS NOT in local or domain ADMIN group, so, there are no problems in my (intranet) web pages, the problem is global.

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:59 AM
  •  so, there are no problems in my (intranet) web pages, the problem is global.

yeah sure...

security settings affect the outcome of SCRIPTED windows.

Internet Options>Tabbed browsing>When a popup is encountered "Always open a popup in a new window".

Rob^_^

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:08 AM
  • Dear Rob,

Thank you for reply. But I failed to understand why IE 10 open following hyperlink 

<a href="http://www.w3schools.com" target="_blank">Visit W3Schools</a>

in inconsistent manner based on user privilege level:

1. For NON ADMIN user new IE Window (even with mouse right click: Open in new tab)
    2. For ADMIN user new IE Tab (in current window)

tnx!

Edit: I’m trying the same hyperlink Visit W3Schools!:

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_a_target

as:

1. my NON (DOMAIN/LOCAL) ADMIN account – IE 10 open hyperlink in new window.
    2. my DOMAIN ADMIN account – IE 10 open hyperlink in new tab.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 12:38 PM
  • I have the exact same problem.  Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks,

Ross

Monday, September 30, 2013 5:22 PM
  • Why can't anyone answer this issue.

Non-admin domain user cannot use tabbed browsing in IE10.
    Logon as domain admin of any level and it works fine.

Uninstall back to IE8 and it works fine. Upgrade to IE10 breaks again.

This issue of many different flavors has been around many years and no one has fixed it..???

Rick

Friday, August 8, 2014 6:26 PM
  • Logon as domain admin of any level and it works fine.

One consequence of that would be that Protect Mode is Off.  Have you tried using just that as your workaround instead?  Then if that worked putting the site into the Trusted Sites list might be enough.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 9, 2014 12:58 PM
    Answerer