none
FAST search service requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I have inherited a two-tire (formerly known as small farm) configuration with a dedicated FAST search server.  The SharePoint farm was stood up as a POC and using the configuration wizard.  I want to rebuild and scale to a two-tier FARM for scalability, and because unfortunaly it also was used a development/training server for some older developer that had no expereince with SharePoint.  With that said, I see no point mamanging resources for two search solutions and because they already paid for FAST I am stuck using it so can I just disable the SharePoint Server Search services?

I have found no documentation indicating whether FAST requires SharePoint Server Search or not.  The installation/configuration documentation just refers to installation of a FAST server integration with SharePoint 2010 and doesn't address SharePoint Server Search services.  I ask because if it is not needed I would like to disable this service.  Why manage space for MULTIPLE different index files and multiple databases FOR NO REASON OR ADDED VALUE.  I really need some docuemntation that illudes to this one way or another.

HaloX
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:50 PM

All replies

• FAST Does use the SharePoint search components, but you'll probably have 3 separate search service applications (you can see them via central admin -> manage service applications)

1. the default one, which will be labeled simply Search Service Application", [this one you can delete]

2. query SSA, necessary for crawling people content and querying the FAST [do NOT delete this one

3. content SSA, necessary for crawling for FAST [do NOT delete this one ]

If the default [Search Service Application] was never used, it's not going to save you a lot of space if you delete it...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:29 PM
  • bdw,

Deleting it might not save a lot of space, but it will free memory as you are not running the service, and free a content database, and it might also save you an IIS Application Pool which is something you want to keep as low as possible, as you shouldn't have more than 10 of them per server.

Also having less services listed tells a new person looking at the system what is actually running and not. Being tidy is a good thing :)

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - MCTS SharePoint/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/ - http://www.comperiosearch.com/
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:46 PM