none
Folder redirection (Desktop) not working sometimes

Question

• I'm having an issue where sometimes desktop redirection is not working properly.

We have AD set to point the profile path to a local mandatory profile, with GP redirection set for several items, including desktop. However, about half the time when the user logs in, the desktop showing is from their local profile (C:\Users\[username]\desktop). By logging out and back in a couple times it will finally load the desktop from the redirected location on the network, and the correct icons will show on the desktop, but it will ultimately not work again on the next logon.

Tried GPUPDATE, didn't fix the problem. It doesn't appear to be a rights issue, as I can successfully connect to the redirected desktop folder from within the user's account. What I don't understand is why it is ever loading the user's local profile desktop, when it is supposed to load the mandatory one.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 6:47 PM

Answers

• Figured it out.

The OU the computer was in didn't have the computer GPO linked. One of the computer GPO settings was to delete the locally cached profile of the user upon logout. Since this wasn't being done, Windows was loading the locally cached profile rather than the mandatory profile. This also was apparently causing the local account desktop to show rather than the redirected desktop. I'm assuming it was irregular depending on which profile was showing most recent modified.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:30 PM

All replies

• Figured it out.

The OU the computer was in didn't have the computer GPO linked. One of the computer GPO settings was to delete the locally cached profile of the user upon logout. Since this wasn't being done, Windows was loading the locally cached profile rather than the mandatory profile. This also was apparently causing the local account desktop to show rather than the redirected desktop. I'm assuming it was irregular depending on which profile was showing most recent modified.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:30 PM
  • Glad to hear this!

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:51 AM