none
Office 2013 is licensed by KMS but dispalys Error Code: 0x4004F040

Question

• Good afternoon,

I recently had to manually activate Windows on one of our workstations as for some reason it had lost the product key and couldn't automatically active using KMS.

While sorting this I noticed an issue with the KMS licensing of Office 2013 Pro as well, and it would seem this error shows on all of our clients.

If I type in: cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus I get the following information:

SKU ID: not sure if this should be posted!
    LICENSE NAME: Office 15, OfficeProPlusVL_KMS_Client edition
    LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 15, VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel
    LICENSE STATUS:  ---LICENSED---
    ERROR CODE: 0x4004F040 (for information purposes only as the status is licensed)

ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product was
    activated but the owner should verify the Product Use Rights.
    REMAINING GRACE: 179 days  (259199 minute(s) before expiring)
    Last 5 characters of installed product key: *****
    Activation Type Configuration: ALL
            KMS machine name from DNS:myserver.local:1688
            Activation Interval: 120 minutes
            Renewal Interval: 10080 minutes
            KMS host caching: Enabled
    ---------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------
    ---Exiting-----------------------------

I understand this says it is for information purposes only as the status is licensed, however I would prefer not to see any errors. Does anyone know what I need to do to suppress this error, or why the system may suspect we are in breach of the products usage rights please?

Thanks in advance,

Mr..D

• Edited by Mr..D Monday, January 9, 2017 2:51 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 2:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Based on my research, If the 'License Status' value in the Ospp..vbs output is LICENSED, then your Office license is correctly established and this error (0x4004F040) can safely be ignored. See the following Microsoft KB article for more information:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2870357#bookmark-0x4004f040warning

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Mr..D Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:14 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:24 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I am pleased to see that the error can be ignored. I found a similar (less official) article, so yours is reassuring. That said why have an error code and information on how to resolve it, if everything is OK and the solution is to do nothing!? 

I can't say that I check the state of the KMS often, but the last time I did there was no error or additional warning accompanying the normal License information, so something must have changed?!?

Regardless, I have marked your reply as the Answer and hopefully nothing more will come of this.

Thanks Mr..D

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:14 AM