Apps can not be opened. RRS feed

• Question

• I am systematically loosing access to the "system" applications.  Cortana access was the first to go.  Next the entire "Life at a Glance" screen became "unclickable" (it opens but all objects are unclickable).  Outlook will not allow any attachment to be opened including PDF's.  Just lately the Calculator stopped working (this app can't open).  Before I start downloading Mozilla replacements such as Thunderbird for Outlook I would like to know if there is a known fix for what is happening.  All of this nonsense started after the "forced" upgrade to "media center or creator".

Gordon Haas

Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:42 PM

All replies

• Right click start open Windows PowerShell, copy and paste the following;

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Run that then reboot see if that helps.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:33 PM
  • It's worst.  Now the "Life at a glance" no longer "pops" up.  Cortana is still "closed" and the calculator along with the Outlook attachments do not open.  Next?

Gordon Haas

Friday, August 11, 2017 2:17 AM
  • Hi saahg,

Have you tried to a new user account to check? To make sure the user profile works fine.

Have you installed updates to reach the latest system version?

You could try to run the command below to repair the system files.

Sfc /scannow

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If the issue still insists, I suggest that you could use system restore or perform an In-Place Upgrade to fix.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 11, 2017 7:44 AM
  • When I attempt to run sfc /scannow I get the message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service".  In other words, that don't work either.  FYI I have scanned the disk - Windows 10 says its OK.  I have discovered that "Action Center" won't open either.  In addition it appears that Windows Update is no longer working either.

Gordon Haas

Sunday, August 13, 2017 3:02 PM
  • Did you try Carl Fan's first suggestion a new user account see if that works? Be good trouble shooting to see if it is a user account issue or the bigger problem.
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 7:58 PM
  • New user; same problem.

Gordon Haas

Monday, August 14, 2017 12:24 AM
  • Hi saahg,

Thank you for your update.

If you met error when you run the sfc command, it could be related to your Service.

Run services.msc to open the Services Manager. Look for Windows Modules Installer or the TrustedInstaller service. Ensure that the Services are Started.

Then you could try to use the command sfc and dism to repair.

Meanwhile, I suggest that you could end the Explorer. EXE process, and then re-create it in Task Manager.

If the issue still insists, you could copy and paste the following:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope it will be helpful to you

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 14, 2017 10:17 AM
  • The Windows Modules Installer was not running so I started it and changed its profile from manual to automatic.   Unfortunately it did not change the result - same error about Windows Resource Protection.  I checked the event viewer and this is the related error message:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.8.12.15063_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI.AppXtpp90jhw9p0njjb85kvhxpppgrqfp117.mca as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
    "2"
    Happened while starting this command:
    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\backgroundTaskHost.exe" -ServerName:CortanaUI.AppXy7vb4pc2dr3kc93kfc509b1d0arkfb2x.mca

I believe this "DCOM Server" component is at the heart of all of these "unable to open events".  

The one fix that did occur after turning on the Windows Modules Installer is now I can open PDF files in Outlook.  Go figure!

Gordon Haas

Monday, August 14, 2017 3:14 PM
  • Hi saahg,

According to your description, you find the event log is about Cortana.

Have you checked that TrustedInstaller service to Start? It need to be started.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 10:10 AM
  • Hi Carl

The TrustedInstaller service does not exist in my list of services.  I got the impression that the Windows Modules Installer or the TrustedInstaller was the appropriate service so I did turn on the Windows Modules Installer.  Again the TrustedInstaller service is not in the list.

I appreciate your help.

Gordon Haas

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 4:36 PM
  • Hi Carl

The TrustedInstaller service does not exist in my list of services.  I got the impression that the Windows Modules Installer or the TrustedInstaller was the appropriate service so I did turn on the Windows Modules Installer.  Again the TrustedInstaller service is not in the list.

I appreciate your help.

Gordon Haas

Not Carl here but TrustedInstaller is the service name, its display name is Windows Modules Installer so should be in list called that.
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Thank you "Mr Happy"

That is the case.  I turned on the service with the Display name "Windows Modules Installer".  It helped in the sense that Outlook attachments such as PDF were able to be opened from within the Outlook "session".  The Microsoft applications, however, are systematically "shutting down".  Discovered yesterday that the time and date popup is no longer working.  I see a hard drive format coming accompanied by a fresh W10 install with a systematic reinstall of all my applications with their corresponding data.  Shouldn't take more than a week!  I have done a full restore with Acronis but the demon is in the image.

Gordon Haas

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:52 PM