need advice RRS feed

• Question

•   
    have a customre whos doing a migration from 2k3 to 2k7 and after installing the 2 hub-cas servers in WNLB and then the 2 CCR clusters very perfectly and mail flow between the 2k3 and 2k7 internally and externally was very good
    suddenly he stoped beign able to send emails to any external domain from any user mailbox reside on the exchange 2k7
    beer in mind that there is a RGC between the 2k3 and the 2k7 hub so the main guy is still the exchange 2k3 server
    the email going from the 2k3 reach the queue and got stuck there giving the follwoing error msg
    451 4.4.0 primary target ip address responded with 421 4.2.1 unable to connect attemted failover to alternate host but that didnt succeed, either there are not alternative host or deleivery failed to all alternate hosts

i tried also to send to hotmail.com , msn.com , yahoo.com also the same error 

i enable the verbos looging on the SMTP send connector on exchange 2007
    i got this message in the log file alot
    2008-12-25T11:55:57.349Z,Internet Connector 2007,08CB3494C6B14AC2,0,,65.54.244.72:25,*,,attempting to connect
    2008-12-25T11:55:58.349Z,Internet Connector 2007,08CB3494C6B14AC2,1,,65.54.244.72:25,*,,"Failed to connect. Error Code: 10061, Error Message: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 65.54.244.72:
    25"

Ahmad Ramadan AbaYazeed
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 12:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Ahmad,

I think the following artilc may explain the mail route in coexistence environment better:
    http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/11/01/430185.aspx

Please remember Exchange Server 2007 prefers to keep the messages on Exchange 2007 server as long as possible. If it can delver the message to Internet directly without go through the Exchange 2003 server, it will not deliver the message to Exchange 2003 and then to Internet. 

Mike
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Shen Monday, January 5, 2009 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Shen Friday, January 9, 2009 1:07 AM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:51 AM

All replies

•  

i already have on the exchange 2007 an smtp connector with * address space and source server are my 2 nlb hub-cas servers and a cost of 10

and on the exchange 2003 i have the same connector but with cost of 1

i found out that when i create the exchange 2007 connector as i said the mails wont go from any exchange 2007 mailbox to the internet

but when i delete that connector the mail flow goes very smooth!!

i am still waiting for any advice about this wierd problem

waiting for replies!!!

Thank you

Ahmad Ramadan AbaYazeed
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

Please check that the server which you try to send from can connect to the server by using telnet, for example:

telnet mail.test.com 25

If this does not work please check that the firewall, if you have a spam solution in your DMZ also make sure the server is allowed to send via this server.

Regards,

Johan

blog: www.johanveldhuis.nl
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 10:23 PM
  • hello
    thank you for your response

1. just to calrify i have 2 servers holding Hub transport role and client access server role lets say Hubcas1 and Hubcas1 and both of them are in WNLB mode and the NLB virtual name is Mail.Domain.local
    so by design the SMTP port 25 is disabled in mail.domain.local so i cant telnet myself

2. my problem as i mentioned that when i create the smtp send connector on ex2k7 all the users in the ex2k7 system wont be able to send email to the internet but they can recieve normally and i am trying to send emails to Hotmail.com , MSN.com , yahoo.com accounts did you mean to make a telnet from my Hub transport servers to mail.yahoo.com on port 25????

3. in my coexistnse situation that i am in between the ex2k3 and the 2x2k7 the exchange server 2003 is the main system so i am sending emails from the exchange 2007 accounts throught the ex2k3 i mean throught the RGC connecting the hub with the ex2k3 
    and everything is allowed in my CISCO Firewall to  the exchange 2003 so would you please tell in what area i should look in my firewall???

waiting your reply asap
    thanx 
    Ahmad Ramadan AbaYazeed
    Friday, December 26, 2008 12:06 AM
  •  

Hi Ahmad

From your description, I understand that you would like to have all the outbound email go through the Exchange 2003 and then go to Internet. If I misunderstood your problem, please let me know.

If I am right, I would like to know why you need to create send connector on the Exchange 2007 Hub Server. I would like to explain that the Exchange 2007 is able to detect the SMTP connector which created on Exchange 2003. Then, all the mail will be delivered to Exchange 2003 through RGC and send to external recipient.

Regarding the cost, please understand that Exchange Server 2007 prefers to keep the messages within the Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR) as long as possible. The total cost is a combination of the connectors cost for a selected address space and the cost of sending mail to the server that hosts the connector.

To help further illustrate this, consider the cost of a route in Exchange Server 2003 to be a “Legacy Cost” that is separate fro the “Exchange Cost” for Exchange 2007. This combined “Legacy Cost” is then evaluated to determine the best route. The best route will always be the route with the best “legacy cost”, followed by the “Exchange Cost”.

Therefore, the message will not be routed to the Exchange 2003 server although the SMTP connector on Exchange 2003 cost is 1 and the Send Connector on Exchange 2007 cost is 10. It is because the Exchange 2007 can send email to Internet directly without needing to go through Exchange 2003 (the Legacy Cost value is 0) after adding the send connector.

Mike

Monday, December 29, 2008 5:42 AM
  •   yes u r right, for the time now i wanna have a coexistence situation between the ex2k3 and the ex2k7 and put the new system under test.

also i want all the ex2k3 and the ex2k7 users's mail to flow throught the ex2k3 "this is whats happening now" till i decide to just change the cost in the SMTP send connector on the exchange 2007 to a lower cost so now all the users will flow throught the exchange 2007 thats was my strategy.
    and i know that the ex2k7 can detect the ex2k3 smtp connector but i want from time to time to test the exchange 2007 in live work, got my idea?

thank you mike for your explanation regarding the cost mechanism, but would you please provide me with any link for that matter so i can uderstand, read about it more??
    coz i think i didnt get it all well
    or you can please give me another clear example on my situation with that matter? and your suggestions to solve this issue if you dont mind??

thank you alot
    Ahmad Ramadan AbaYazeed
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:41 AM
  • Hi Ahmad,

I think the following artilc may explain the mail route in coexistence environment better:
    http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/11/01/430185.aspx

Please remember Exchange Server 2007 prefers to keep the messages on Exchange 2007 server as long as possible. If it can delver the message to Internet directly without go through the Exchange 2003 server, it will not deliver the message to Exchange 2003 and then to Internet. 

Mike
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Shen Monday, January 5, 2009 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Shen Friday, January 9, 2009 1:07 AM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:51 AM
  • thank you Mike for the informative link
    i will go throught it and feed you back with the results
    thank you
    wait for my reply

Ahmad Ramadan AbaYazeed
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:46 PM