Problem with program pinned to Start menu RRS feed

• Question

• I pinned Remote Desktop Connection to the Start menu and it has worked great. I like how recent connections appear to the right in a list when I mouse over the item. However today, suddenly the items in the list for Remote Desktop Connection no longer launch when I click on them. Other programs such as Excel pinned to the Start list continue to work normally. I deleted the item Remote Desktop Connection and repinned it with no success. If I just click on Remote Desktop Connection the usual RDC box appears and I can enter a computer name. It works normally that way. Anyone seen this behavior and any ideas to remediate or test it will be welcome.

Robert

Robert Porter
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:54 PM

Answers

• To see if the problem is caused by a badly designed context menu handler, follow these steps:

Download the FileTypeVerifier tool corresponding to your computer architecture from here: http://cid-921ae32373defa5b.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/CPLLinksBroken.

Double click the executable file. Choose Document. Drag any .txt file to the Drag Here target (a blank text file suffices) and wait for the report to be generated.

Save and open the report file and see whether the following error appears under "Verb Handlers":

"IContextMenu::InvokeCommand implementation of the following handler is incorrect. It shouldn't return SUCCEDED because it doesn't own the verb passed in."

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:02 AM
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:15 PM
    Answerer