locked
VLAN Problems RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi guys,

    for several days I'm facing problem with WXP machines in my network. Few weeks ago we started to implemet VLAN networking. Everything seems to be OK, until we migrate department full of WXP machines. Other departments is working on WV or W7 systems. 

    The problems are 
    > WXP machines cannot obtain IP address from DHCP server
    > Even if we configure IP address manualy, still not working

    We are using port VLAN Configuration. If we connect WV or W7 computer on same cable as WXP computer was, everything is OK, IP address is asigned and connectivity is working.

    So, is there any bugs of VLAN implementing in WXP? XP is fully updated over WinUpdate.

    I presume infrastructure is OK when WV and W7 is working fine.

     

    Thanks for any help in this matter.

     

    Patrik

    Friday, July 8, 2011 10:16 AM

Answers

  • Few minutes a go we found where problem is.

    Our switches was misconfigured. Every port on switch has been set to be trunk port. WV and W7 stack can deal with it, WXP cannot. So we reconfigured ports to be access ports and only trunk port is uplink. Everything is working now perfectly.

     

    Thanks for help

    • Marked as answer by Patrik Cevela Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:15 PM
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:15 PM

All replies

  • Your PCs should not be the problem as they are not really VLAN aware.  The problem will be on your switches.  Each port will be defined for use on one or more VLANs.  Plugging in another PC will not necessarily help you fault-find, as some switches update the VLAN assignment based upon the MAC address of the network device which is plugged in.  You will need to speak to whoever looks after your infrastructure to get to the bottom of this.  They will probably need to add the MAC addresses of your WV and W7 machines to the MAC/VLAN lookup table within the switch configuration.
    Alan Moseley
    Friday, July 8, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Few minutes a go we found where problem is.

    Our switches was misconfigured. Every port on switch has been set to be trunk port. WV and W7 stack can deal with it, WXP cannot. So we reconfigured ports to be access ports and only trunk port is uplink. Everything is working now perfectly.

     

    Thanks for help

    • Marked as answer by Patrik Cevela Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:15 PM
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:15 PM