Can in-house applications be installed somewhere other than Program Files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My company is preparing to migrate from XP to Windows 7.  I have found forums that mention the recommended locations for folders.  We were wondering if anyone can tell us what the advantages and disadvantages are of placing our in-house apps (and possibly other apps) outside of the Program Files directory, or point us to a Microsoft site that explains why they should be in the Program Files directory.  For example, if we place our application files in C:\Apps in order to keep our directory structure intact, will there be permission issues, or other problems?

Thanks!

Steve

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:49 PM

Answers

• I guess you will have to do some research and ask questions over in MSDN.

Search www.microsoft.com for some documentation on program development.

This is a peer-to-peer users forum which does not deal with the inner workings of the Windows 7 operating system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Kim Zhou Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Diretiger Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:54 PM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 1:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Diretiger Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:00 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:59 PM

All replies

• Your questions should be posted in one of the MSDN forums.  I can't tell you which one, but MSDN is the Microsoft Developers Network for just such situations.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, March 23, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Thanks Rick, but I couldn't find a category/forum that matches the question at the MSDN forum site.

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:41 PM
  • I guess you will have to do some research and ask questions over in MSDN.

Search www.microsoft.com for some documentation on program development.

This is a peer-to-peer users forum which does not deal with the inner workings of the Windows 7 operating system.

• Proposed as answer by Kim Zhou Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Diretiger Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:54 PM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 1:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Diretiger Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:00 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:59 PM