Linked Server Azure/PowerBI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am trying to import some data into a sql server database as part of a stored procedure so I can refresh it from time to time without manual intervention. The data has been made available to me in a powerbi report. Using SSMS 18.5 I can connect to the server just fine using my Azure active directory login and password, query the data, get results back, so the network and permissions are definitely all OK

When I go to add it as a linked server, I'm struggling. I have tried using OLE DB provider for analysis services 14 with the same password and server details as before. Provider string and catalog both blank because I don't know what to do with those. It fails. I have tried different combinations on the security tab and different providers but can't seem to find teh combination that works. So far the only one that has allowed me to connect is OLE DB for directory services, which let me set up the connection but - as you have probably already guessed - didn't actually let me see my data!

Can anyone help please?

Saturday, August 1, 2020 7:44 AM

Answers

•  

Hi colinlusk,

Did you to want to use Linked server to get data from Power BI ? Power BI is not included in OLE DB data sources that can be configured as linked servers.

Please refer to Linked Servers (Database Engine). If I misunderstood your issue, please let me know.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, August 3, 2020 6:19 AM

All replies

• Hm, I guess that's a no then! :) Well, that's good in a way. At least it shows I'm not wasting your time with easy, obvious questions. Oh well, looks like it's a manual task for me if none of you can solve it either!
    Sunday, August 2, 2020 1:20 PM
  •  

Hi colinlusk,

Did you to want to use Linked server to get data from Power BI ? Power BI is not included in OLE DB data sources that can be configured as linked servers.

Please refer to Linked Servers (Database Engine). If I misunderstood your issue, please let me know.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, August 3, 2020 6:19 AM
  • OK, thanks. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since its only the latest version of SSMS that supports PowerBI at all. Hopefully it'll be possible in future versions. Thanks for your reply though
    Monday, August 3, 2020 2:13 PM