Remove entry from list of installed programs RRS feed

• Question

• I'm confronted with the problem of uninstallers that don't work.  In the immediate case it is specifically XP.  I know enough about Windows to do some of the tasks associated with uninstalling a program as follows:

- know how to edit the registry

- delete software libraries from with Program Files directory

- delete desktop icons

- delete entries in start menu

- find and remove files from within Documents & Settings directory

I assume that the entries listed for Add and Remove Programs are stored in some registry key.  How do I locate those registry keys?  Is there any way to tell if a program installation added files to system folders (e.g., presumably based on registry entries) other than those in their sub-directory of Program Files (e.g., windows\system32)?

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:36 PM

Answers

• SnookRed

To remove unwanted registry entries in Add or Remove Programs, go to a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type regedit, press Enter and in the left pane navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.

In the left pane, expand the subkey Uninstall and scroll down to find the unwanted entry then right-click and delete it. To ensure you delete the correct entry, check the name in the right pane. DisplayName contains the name that is listed in Add or Remove Programs and UninstallString contains the name of the program (including the full path) that is normally used to do the uninstall.

This is the major registry key, there will be others which can be searched for (F3) and deleted.

Ninety-nine per cent of politicians give the rest a bad name!

• Marked as answer by SnookRed Friday, January 29, 2016 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:09 AM

All replies

• SnookRed

To remove unwanted registry entries in Add or Remove Programs, go to a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type regedit, press Enter and in the left pane navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.

In the left pane, expand the subkey Uninstall and scroll down to find the unwanted entry then right-click and delete it. To ensure you delete the correct entry, check the name in the right pane. DisplayName contains the name that is listed in Add or Remove Programs and UninstallString contains the name of the program (including the full path) that is normally used to do the uninstall.

This is the major registry key, there will be others which can be searched for (F3) and deleted.

Ninety-nine per cent of politicians give the rest a bad name!

• Marked as answer by SnookRed Friday, January 29, 2016 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:09 AM
  • BurrWalnut

Many thanks!  Just what I needed.

Friday, January 29, 2016 4:17 PM