AD System Discovery and Migrated Clients RRS feed

• Question

• I have migrated collections from 2007 and the clients in those collections. If I turn on AD system discovery will Config Manager make duplicates or reconcile the discovered clients with ones already in 2012?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you have Direct Members on those Collections and want to keep them, I would run AD Sys Discovery in the 2012 Site in advance, and then migrate the Collections With Objects. Otherwise it will wipe the Direct Memberships from the Collections when Discovery is turned on.

Try this out on one Collection so that you'll have the same experience.

Querys on the Collection are always preserved, so thats no problem and will Catch up as soon as Discovery is run.

From Technet:

You can migrate the criteria for collections from a supported System Center 2012 Configuration Manager source hierarchy. To migrate System Center 2012 Configuration Manager collections, you use an object-based migration job. When you migrate a collection, you migrate the rules for the collection and not information about the members of the collection or information or objects related to the members of the collection.

Nicolai

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:59 PM
  • I already have some 2012 clients added as direct membership. So the direct membership for those will be removed? Will system discovery reconcile clients already migrated or will it create duplicates?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:24 PM
  • If you want the Direct membership from 2007 to be migrated, you have to migrate the Collections again, With replace option. And I beleve then that the New 2012 Direct memberships will be lost Im afraid. But this you have to test to be sure.

Nicolai

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:13 PM
  • This issue is also fixed in CU2 for SCCM 2012: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2780664

Nicolai

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:48 AM