none
Can't get Windows 10 Start Menu Layout to Work using GPO

    Question

  • I have been fighting this for a couple days so hope someone can help me out.

    I have followed the steps to export the xml file for the start menu using export-startlayout and add in the taskbar layout as directed on Microsofts pages.  I have setup the GPO and it pushes out and locks the start menu but does not add the items I get just a bunch of blank spots where the office icons should be and sometimes IE shows up but sometimes it shows Edge instead and it does not do anything to the task bar.  

    I am working with Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit systems.

    See my XML file below.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    <LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout" Version="1">
      <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />
      <DefaultLayoutOverride>
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout">
            <start:Group Name="Work Apps" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Outlook 2010.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Word 2010.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Excel 2010.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" />
            </start:Group>
          </defaultlayout:StartLayout>
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
      <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace">
        <defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
          <taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
    	<taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk"/>
            <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk"/>
    	<taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Outlook 2010.lnk"/>
          </taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
        </defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
      </CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>
    </LayoutModificationTemplate>

    


    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:48 PM

Answers

  • I figured it out, the issue was I had fat fingered the name of the xml file in my GPO.
    • Marked as answer by ClarkInIt Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:32 PM
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:32 PM

All replies

  • Hi,
    Please check if the problem is happening on this client or multiple clients. And if the problem occurs randomly, i would suggest you enable Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon policy setting policy settings under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon to see if it helps.
    Alternatively, any related events in the event viewer will also be helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Wendy Jiang

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:22 AM
    Moderator
  • I figured it out, the issue was I had fat fingered the name of the xml file in my GPO.
    • Marked as answer by ClarkInIt Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:32 PM
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:32 PM