none
disk missing every morning, DPM 2012R2 with Deduplication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have one VM for DPM2012r2 in windows server 2012R2.
    This DPM, i used for backup VM in 3 Hyper-v host(2008R2), 1 AD, and 1 Exchange 2010 DB for public folder.

For disk,

Right now, i using 2 VHDX (@ 5TB)and attach that VHD at VM controller.
    This 2 VHD in file server with deduplication.

I scheduled backup from 8:00PM - 3:00 AM every day.

Deduplication, i scheduled from 8:00AM every day.

Every morning, when i monitoring this DPM, always one of disk will fail and all or half of my backup will get disk missing notification.

Yesterday, when i fix this issue(restart DPM and re-add the backup who got replica inconsistent). And sometimes, this disk missing error will appeared again (sometimes not).

So, any suggestion to fix this issue? thank you.

Friday, October 16, 2015 7:41 AM

Answers

• Looks like i already found the answer. Because for DPM disk i using .vhdx, when i switch it to .vhd. DPM2012r2 run smoothly.

• Marked as answer by Andre Aliaman Monday, November 2, 2015 5:52 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 5:52 AM

All replies

• Have you ever tried to turn off the VM when it was missing a disk? If yes, could your turn it back on? If you cannot turn the VM on with an error message related to filesystem limitation reached then I think I know what is happening: Your filesystem was probably formatted without using the large file records option. Dynamically expanding VMs are fragmented due continues expansion of the file and even worse because of deduplication. This can lead to reaching certain limits in the filesystem. In order to be able to use the affected file again you have to defragment the filesystem and wait for dedupe to finish optimizing the file.

Friday, October 16, 2015 12:15 PM
  • @Marcus Kramer

DO you mean VM = DPM ?
    If yes, Yeah, I always restart that DPM and all the disk missing is gone, the volume will OK(green light).

But, when backup starting again, after one or two VM.. that disk missing will appeard again and one of the volume will get red light.
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 12:20 PM
  • If the VM is back online after a reboot, then it is another issue. Not what I thought. Is the Hyper-V host running the DPM VM using local storage or on a SOFS server?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:42 PM
  • If the VM is back online after a reboot, then it is another issue. Not what I thought. Is the Hyper-V host running the DPM VM using local storage or on a SOFS server?

Using SOFS with dedup. 

BTW, when i check My DPM. I got volume missing again with one Disk failed.
    When i check disk management. That disk got error status with yellow warning.
    And when i check at task manager, i got something like this.

So the problem actually because IO error?

Thursday, October 22, 2015 5:01 PM
  • If it is IO/Performance related then there should be something in the system eventlog. Have you checked?
    Friday, October 23, 2015 8:37 AM
  • Looks like i already found the answer. Because for DPM disk i using .vhdx, when i switch it to .vhd. DPM2012r2 run smoothly.

• Marked as answer by Andre Aliaman Monday, November 2, 2015 5:52 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 5:52 AM
  • unfortunately this solution doesn't work for me. I have rebuild al my dpm servers several times. Last time as a generation-1 to use vhd in stead of vhdx but still disks go missing after which I can't restart the dpm server because of:error 0x80070299 file system limitations which prevent me using the missing disk. VHD disk is smb3 application share based. OS and application is all 2012R2

• Edited by rogier koek Monday, November 16, 2015 9:39 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:46 AM