How does one re-add a previously deleted update to the WSUS console? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

We have WSUS 6.2  on 2012 Server and it is running fine.

I wish to 'restore' KB3018238 to the list of available updates in the console.

It is missing from all views and I can only guess that the clean up wizard removed this 2014 update.

Is it possible to do this?

Details:
    KB2992611 failed on four servers as KB3018238 was also missing.
    Dozens of other servers installed KB2992611 ok as the pre-requisite KB3018238 was already installed.
    I unclear how it is that some servers have KB3018238 and others don't (all in same computer group).
    My best guess is that a previous administrator removed it or it was not successful back in 2014.
    I even tried downloading a stand alone copy of KB3018238 and installed in on one server and then tried KB2992611 again...failed.
    The WSUS console of course does not recognize that KB3018238 is installed on that one server.
    I did verify it was not hidden on the target server itself.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Friday, July 29, 2016 1:21 PM

Answers

• Hi AndySpecial,

1. >I even tried downloading a stand alone copy of KB3018238 and installed in on one server and then tried KB2992611 again...failed.

Do you mean you fail to install KB3018238 manually? Then what error message do you get?

2. As far as I know, MS14-066 is replaced by MS14-068, it is recommended that you install the most current security update for Windows.

3. If required, you may also try MBSA to scan for missing patch:

http://blogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2012/10/22/microsoft-free-security-tools-microsoft-baseline-security-analyzer/

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AndySpecial Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:06 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 6:04 AM

All replies

• Hi AndySpecial,

1. >I even tried downloading a stand alone copy of KB3018238 and installed in on one server and then tried KB2992611 again...failed.

Do you mean you fail to install KB3018238 manually? Then what error message do you get?

2. As far as I know, MS14-066 is replaced by MS14-068, it is recommended that you install the most current security update for Windows.

3. If required, you may also try MBSA to scan for missing patch:

http://blogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2012/10/22/microsoft-free-security-tools-microsoft-baseline-security-analyzer/

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AndySpecial Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:06 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 6:04 AM
  • Hello Anne, thank you for your reply.

1. The manual install of KB3018238 was successful. The subsequent attempt to install KB2992611 afterwards was not.

2. I will check to ensure the newer update is applied and decline the old update.

3. I will perform that check on the WSUS server.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Andy

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Update:

2. the KB2992611 has been declined after verifying the superceeding update was approved.

3. Not done yet but will do it later

The only suggestion I have is that the WSUS console should tell the admin more details about superseding.

By this I mean...when you focus on an update one receives a message: This update is superseded by another update. bla bla bla etc....

It should somehow indicate which update superceeds the one you are viewing.

If the console is able to determine an updated is superceded, it should be able to tell the admin, by what.

Maybe it does and I just can't see that.

Thanks again Anne

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:28 PM