Exchange Server email size limit RRS feed

• Question

• All,

We’re a mixed environment Window and Apple workstation clients with Exchange 2007.  We‘re migrating the clients to Office 2010 and Office 2011 respectively.  We ran into an issue with Office 2011 you cannot send files larger than 50 MB. It’s not a client limit but and Exchange limit.  We opened a support call with Microsoft and after a great deal of back and forth here is the bottom line  ( Eric is a co-worker)

“Hello Eric,

As we spoke last Friday regard the case # 111060363713779 where you trying to attach files larger than 50MB – 1GB.

As we spoke on the phone the Exchange 2007/2101 is not the recommended product transfer files with that amount due performance impact to the servers and clients involved.

You stated that there is no concern regard performance but this is a business requirement. To fulfill a business need involve to use a proper tool and in this case we recommend to use SharePoint.

Also to prevent customer to make some mistakes when configuring attachment to Exchange 2007/2010 and impact the product, there is a hard code configuration where we prevent the customer to go beyond 50MB. By previous experience looking at the code Exchange will throw an exception to the client. Thus we do not recommend go above 50MB which is already a huge file.

Best Regards!

Vandy Rodrigues |e: vandyr@microsoft.com

Before everyone jumps on the “50 MB is a big file” bandwagon we don’t have the same issue with Office 2010 and Exchange 2007 and the recommendation represent a significant business processing change and cost.

Thoughts?

Dennis  

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't see how we in these fora should be able to help if the limit is hard coded in the Office2011.

Leif

PS it is not nice to publish another persons e-mail address on the internet (you should remove the address)

• Marked as answer by Evan Liu Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:17 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Hello Dennis,

Per my knowledge, there isn’t any good solution to configure let user go above 50 MB.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue, maybe they can give you more information. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

• Marked as answer by Evan Liu Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:29 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Hello Dennis,

Yes, we cannot send attachment more than 50 MB as this the hardcode configuration on the Exchange Server.

So if I have understood correctly, this problem is only with Office 2011?

Thanks,

Praveen Kumar

Friday, July 22, 2011 6:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't see how we in these fora should be able to help if the limit is hard coded in the Office2011.

Leif

PS it is not nice to publish another persons e-mail address on the internet (you should remove the address)

• Marked as answer by Evan Liu Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:17 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:01 PM
  • You're right. My mistake thanks for the reminder

Dennis
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Hello Dennis,

Per my knowledge, there isn’t any good solution to configure let user go above 50 MB.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue, maybe they can give you more information. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Hello Dennis,

Yes, we cannot send attachment more than 50 MB as this the hardcode configuration on the Exchange Server.

So if I have understood correctly, this problem is only with Office 2011?

Thanks,

Praveen Kumar

Friday, July 22, 2011 6:55 AM