App-V and earlier NAV installations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Can you use the App-V to virtualize the older NAV clients.

A big problem for us as a NAV partner is that we have customers running NAV from version 2.6 to version 5.1. It's only the later version from 4.3 that are compatable with Vista and Server 2008. We can't use these operating systems because we need to support the customers with older versions. The obvious answer should be to upgrade the customers but we all know that it is a cost for the customer and we can't force them to.

In my scenario I would like to virtualize all older versions so we can run them with any operating system. My questions are:

1. Is it possible?
    2. Can you run the app-v on a Server 2008 x64, and virtualize non compatable applications anyway or must I run it on a Server 2003.

Our enviroment are already server virtualized with Hyper-V.

Niklas
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:40 AM

Answers

• The App-V Server can run on x64, it will just be run in the WOW64.  I haven't seen any tests done as far as performance gains or hits (due to emulation) but the server components will run on x64 just not the clients.

Check out the following link for supported server operating systems and clients

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc664494.aspx

mattmcdermott
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:40 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You have to seperate the client and the server infrastructure.
    The client can not (today) run in a 64-bit environment.
    I don't think the server can do it either, but it can function in a 2008 environment. (not really sure in regards to a 64-bit environment, never really had to scale a single server installation that big so it would benefit from more resources).

I virtualized NAV 3.7 and ran it on 2003 / Vista. You will simply have to test if they work or do not work. I did have an issue though, but I can't remember if it was due to multiple-monitor support in citrix or dep-settings on the actual server. Either way, disable it.

/Znack

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 10:34 AM
  • X64 support will come in App-V 4.6, you will have to wait a few months before release :)!

Cheers
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Hi!

Ok.

As I understand it, I have to install it on a 2003 server. It is no problem but then I need a new server. We're running in a Hyper-V enviroment.

Thanks for the reply!

/Niklas
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:30 AM
  • The App-V Server can run on x64, it will just be run in the WOW64.  I haven't seen any tests done as far as performance gains or hits (due to emulation) but the server components will run on x64 just not the clients.

Check out the following link for supported server operating systems and clients

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc664494.aspx

mattmcdermott
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:40 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:12 PM