none
Bit-Locker key not working RRS feed

• Question

• I am facing an issue with Bit-locker, I had locked my external HDD with Bit-locker and unfortunately forgot the password, however I was able to unlock using  Bit-Locker recovery key, the machine win 7 in which it was working fine went bad and I have got another machine win 10 home, however the same key does not unlock the HDD it says invalid key, I have tried in this HDD in multiple systems and the result is same, hoping if i can get some help on this subject
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 4:51 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can try repairing Windows 7 machine. Let us know what issue you're facing on it. If you repair Windows 7 machine, you can then unlock and decrypt HDD to use it with Windows 10.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

• Marked as answer by suvendu0219 Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by suvendu0219 Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:29 AM
  • Thank you for the swift reply Kapil, unfortunately that machine is gone bad, not with me anymore and not possible as well to get that machine back. is there any other way to fix this ?

Regards

Suvendu

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:00 AM
  • In that case, the only option seems possible to me is to format the HDD and then you can use it. It is obvious that you can't encrypt it with Windows 10 Home as it doesn't have BitLocker capability.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:22 AM
  • The recovery key would work anywhere. If it says invalid key and you made sure you typed it correctly, you can only try and use another machine to decrypt the drive or boot windows 10 setup to have kind of a different system and there use the command line to unlock it

->boot setup

->press shift F10 when at the language selection so that a command prompt will appear

->use the command

manage-bde -unlock d: -rp 111111-222222-....(substitute these numbers for you 48-digit recovery key)-666666

If the external drive does not have the letter d:, try e: and f: and g:

if it succeeds for example with d:, use the command

dir d:

to see the folders.

If these appear as expected, just disable the protectors using

manage-bde -protectors -disable d:

Then reboot (close anything) and your drive will be accessible, ready to set a new password and recovery key. On an elevated command prompt, use:

manage-bde d: -protectors -add -pw

After setting that password, exchange the recovery key:

manage-bde d: -protectors -delete -type recoverykey

then add a new one:

manage-bde d: -protectors -add -rp

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 6:51 AM
  • Hi,
    Was your issue solved?
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 9:02 PM