downgrading from vista sp1 from windows 7 after beta ends RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, is it possible for me to easily downgrade from windows 7 to vista once the beta period ends. If it is easily possible, will you please tell me how to do that.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:05 AM

Answers

• The supported (and recommended) approach to return back to Vista is to reinstall using OEM provided recovery disks (e.g. from Dell, HP, etc) or retail Vista media.  As a participant in the beta it is expected that you back up data/applications when you decide on moving back to Vista (post-Beta).

If you don't have media from your OEM (or retail), you could also attempt backups using tools such as Complete PC backup or Symantic's Ghost.

Stephen Lodwick [MSFT]

Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:17 AM

All replies

• From what i know there is no real downgrade option.  It will most likely require a format and reinstall.  Unless there is a windows.old folder located on your drive.  That could possibly be used to restore Vista but it will be very complicated.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:36 AM
  • The supported (and recommended) approach to return back to Vista is to reinstall using OEM provided recovery disks (e.g. from Dell, HP, etc) or retail Vista media.  As a participant in the beta it is expected that you back up data/applications when you decide on moving back to Vista (post-Beta).

If you don't have media from your OEM (or retail), you could also attempt backups using tools such as Complete PC backup or Symantic's Ghost.

Stephen Lodwick [MSFT]

Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:17 AM
  • The deadline for beta 1 is 8-1-2009, or better yet 7-31-2009, by that time its more likely that windows 7 beta 2 has hit the streams, i woul not recommend and probably windows will not let you to go back to vista, more likely you will have to reformat your HDD and make a fresh install, or if you made and image back up you woull be in vista in less than 30 mins.

--rammolo

Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:59 AM