none
project server 2010: adding project description column to the project center summary view RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In our organization, each project has a project number and a project name besides the project description and many other attributes. From what I have seen in EPM, there is only the project title, description, and owner. I have placed the project number in the project title and the project name in the project description field. Now I need to display the project title and description (number and name) in the project center summary view. I can not find the project description column when I access server settings -> look and feel -> manage views -> project center -> table and fields -> available fields.

Is there a way to show the description column in the project center summary view (or any other view not neccessarily the summary view)? Is there a way to implement the project number and project name other than using project title and project description or project custom fields (which I believe also can not be added as a column in a project center view).

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
    George

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:41 AM

Answers

• Hi George,

Do not use the description to contain the project name. Create a new Project ECF of type text (single line).  Then place this field in the PDP as described above so that you can complete it.  Remove the redundant fields from the PDP (Project Description in your case).  Add the new Project ECF text field into the project summary view.   This works.

I agree the Notes field is not available as part of a PDP - however the point still stands, you could do it this way, but you would be limited on entering the notes information against the project summary task within MS Project, and not in the PWA interface.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    • Marked as answer by geo_d Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:17 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi George,

You can acheive what you need by adding in new Project Enterprise Custom fields and creating a new or modifying the PDPs.  

Create the fields that you wish to capture for each project as Project level Enterprise Custom Fields; these are then available within the Project Summary views.  Assuming that you are creating the projects via PWA, then modify the ProjectInformation PDP to include these new fields (or safer, create a new PDP and make this PDP the New Project page for the required EPTs). 

I suspect you are correct in thinking you cannot add the Project Details text on the project summary bar.  In 2007 I used to either use the Notes field for the project summary field or a separate Project Description ECF.  The notes field still works in PS2010.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for the help. However I still am not able to do what I was asking for. All I need is to be able to add the column containing the project name to the project center summary view. It is possible through the notes column as you have mentioned but I do not want to have redundant data. Moreover, is the notes column a project field? How can I access it since it is not available in the Project Details or Project Fields webparts in the PDP pages. I have just realized that the Project Departments field is a field that you can add to the project center summary view while it is a custom field. I guess there has to be some way to add custom fields unless the EPM team has done the Project Departments field explicitly to appear in the Available fields to be added to the displayed fields.

Regards,
    George

• Edited by geo_d Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:49 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Hi George,

Do not use the description to contain the project name. Create a new Project ECF of type text (single line).  Then place this field in the PDP as described above so that you can complete it.  Remove the redundant fields from the PDP (Project Description in your case).  Add the new Project ECF text field into the project summary view.   This works.

I agree the Notes field is not available as part of a PDP - however the point still stands, you could do it this way, but you would be limited on entering the notes information against the project summary task within MS Project, and not in the PWA interface.

• Marked as answer by geo_d Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:17 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Thanks Ben! This works. I tried it before with a ECF that is multi line but you can not add a multi line field to the summary view so I assumed it wont work with a single line field too.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:19 AM
  • A line line ECF will work - hence the "Create a new Project ECF of type text (single line)." in my previous post.

I'm glad it's working for you.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:27 AM