none
Project Server 2010 - all on one server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it is possible to install Project Server 2010 on a single server?

So having a DC, Project Server 2010, SharePoint 2010 - all on a single server.

Regards,

Dharmesh

Monday, August 2, 2010 1:51 PM

Answers

• Hello Dharmesh

I would also add to Andrew's comments.  When installing project server 2010, you have the option of installing as a single instance.  This is basically a developer version, that puts everything on a single server and requires you to use SQL express and pretty much does everything except it does not include OLAP or SQL Analsysis functionality.  For me, that's only useful if you have 3 or more months of data and you are using it.

As far as your question, you cannot have all the servers on one server.  Some parts of the installation require a local account and you cannot have local account when on the AD.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, August 2, 2010 2:23 PM

All replies

• Sure - I assume it's a DEV environment. If not, then most people would just
    use their corporate DC.

You'll see the downloadable demo image is like that. They then have a second
    server for Exchange, which I assume was done for performance reasons.

- Andrew Lavinsky

Monday, August 2, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Hello Dharmesh

I would also add to Andrew's comments.  When installing project server 2010, you have the option of installing as a single instance.  This is basically a developer version, that puts everything on a single server and requires you to use SQL express and pretty much does everything except it does not include OLAP or SQL Analsysis functionality.  For me, that's only useful if you have 3 or more months of data and you are using it.

As far as your question, you cannot have all the servers on one server.  Some parts of the installation require a local account and you cannot have local account when on the AD.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, August 2, 2010 2:23 PM
  • Dharm,

To complement Michael and Andrew's comments, you might want to have a look at the Project Server 2010 capacity planning document, which gets into different architectures including a single-server installation (not a DC though): http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectadministration/archive/2010/05/12/project-server-2010-performance-capacity-planning-whitepaper.aspx.

Michael or Andrew (or whomever), for a single-server instance the whitepaper suggests that SQL can live there with Project Server and SharePoint - are you aware of any issues running the full version of SQL there, assuming a light-usage test/dev environment? Thanks!

Good luck Dharm!

cheers /td

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Nope, I typically do a farm install with full SQL one one box for my dev
    environments. I try to avoid SQL Express as then you run into issues with
    SQL Analysis Server for cube building.

- Andrew Lavinsky

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Thanks Andrew! One other question on that front - reseller suggested to a colleague that he should purchase MSDN Visual Studio Premium subscription for that single-server testing environment instead of buying full licenses for PS2010/SP2010/SQL2008 (would still need to buy the CALs apparently). They will probably have <10 people working in the test environment.

I can't claim to know a great deal about the MSDN program but would be interested whether you've had any experience with using it - or the VSP bundle specifically - for a dev/test environment.

Thanks again! (apologies to Dharm that I appear to have hijacked your thread but thought this info might be relevant to you or others looking for more on a single-server installation).

cheers /td

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:27 PM
  • The software is the same in functionality between different licencing versions, but you would need to be very careful that you do not break your EULA for that version.  I seem to remember though that MSDN versions did have a number of users restriction (similiar to <10 users concurrently sharing a share on a workstation), though it practice I have never tried this out.  Depending on your licencing agreement, you may be able to set up a test rig for zero cost.  I wouldn't like to comment any further on licencing than that!

Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:35 PM
  • That gets into licensing issues, which I typically avoid. I have a Technet
    subscription which is pretty cheap, and comes with trial downloads of any
    software you could want. Depending on your purposes, that may meet your
    need. That software is for trial only though. Make sure to check your licensing
    agreements before installing anything.

- Andrew Lavinsky

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Thanks Ben and Andrew - I'll advise them to make sure they're clear on the licensing ramifications and trial considerations, as this will be a test server that will be in place long-term, I expect.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:48 PM